Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Australian Gas Mask No.4 Mark III

Article about: A Close Look at an Australian made No.4 Mark III. Gas mask. I’ve been after one for a while in nice condition and am happy with it. Several different companies were involved in manufacturing

Default Australian Gas Mask No.4 Mark III

A Close Look at an Australian made No.4 Mark III. Gas mask.

I’ve been after one for a while in nice condition and I am happy with it.

Several different companies were involved in manufacturing the finished piece. Mask was made by O.T.R.C in 8/41. On the rear tag holding all the straps for the mask is ‘No.4 III’ - Underneath the date 7 -1-42 . The metal around inlet of canister rubber is marked NO 4#. The eye piece rims were made by Stokes, marked on the exterior; ‘III Stokes 1941’. The canister was made by Willow and is dated 1942. Finally, the bag is made by ‘M.H & Co’ and dated 1942.

I have had the canister wrapped in plastic wrap and the whole lot (including bag) wrapped in a plastic bag to be safe. I have read here I should also use a mix of water and PVC glue on the canister.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Gas Mask No.4 Mark III   Australian Gas Mask No.4 Mark III  

Australian Gas Mask No.4 Mark III   Australian Gas Mask No.4 Mark III  

Australian Gas Mask No.4 Mark III  

Nice one Chris- M H & Co. is Michaelis, Hallenstein & Company Pty, Ltd. Lonsdale Street, Melbourne

?

Great mask Chris, though I would double bag it in polyethylene for safety. I really like the Australian-made antidimming outfit...Never seen one like it before!

?

Also, I believe this is a General Service Respirator Mk IV. The No 4 Mk III refers to the head harness itself... Confusing, right?

Very nice mate..btw i was out your way the other day..dubbo

Hey Chris May I post my one here? my photos won't be as classy as yours though.

Quote by wizardman View Post
    Very nice mate..btw i was out your way the other day..dubbo
    Dubbo is our closest 'City', I go there quite a lot. There is a great disposals store on the main strip; they often have some decent Cold War era gear. Great old gaol there as well! Cheers mate.

- - ------- - -

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Hey Chris May I post my one here? my photos won't be as classy as yours though.
    For sure mate! Would love to see it.

Thank Chris for the privilege. Kenworth & GMH '42 and I think I got a lung full of asbestos hehehe
    Found this set along with a air raid wardens helmet over at Adelaide long ago

A very nice example René. May I ask, who made the canister? I can read Sydney but can't quite make out the rest.

Quote by christek View Post
    A very nice example René. May I ask, who made the canister? I can read Sydney but can't quite make out the rest.
    it's Richard Hughes PTY LTD.
    Top also has a very feint Richard Hughes PTY LTD then it has MAKERS SYDNEY