Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)

Article about: While I am at home alone today thought I would take a couple of pics of this rare and interesting piece of kit. It was designed to replace the larger and heavier MK3 for use in the Jungle. F

AIF
    ?

Default Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)

While I am at home alone today thought I would take a couple of pics of this rare and interesting piece of kit. It was designed to replace the larger and heavier MK3 for use in the Jungle.
    For those of you who dont know what an aiming lamp is, they are designed to be used for resetting your arcs of fire for the bren or vickers at night, so you knew how far to the left or right you could fire without shooting the back of your mate in the next foxholes head off, you would usually put a stick in the ground either side so at night you knew where you were shooting but If you happened to knock one over you would just simply pulled a piece of string that was attached to the lamp and you could reset everything.

Anyway heres the pics....
    First the whole kit... Pouch, lamp, spare battery box and string and the second shot shows the bayonet boss attachment on the back of the lamp
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)   Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)  

AIF
    ?

Default Re: Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)

Next heres the Lamp set up attached to a patt 07 bayonet stuck into the ground and a second happy snap for the fun of it
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)   Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)  

Very cool mate I must say this is new to me thanks for showing.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

AIF
    ?

Also here is some pics of the bigger MK3 for comparison, Its dated 1942. Unfortunately my camera died as I was about to take the last shot of the anchorage point on it, which is basically a metal hinge with a claw on one end that sticks into the ground so the unit doesnt move when you pull the string.

Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)   Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)  

Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)   Australian MG aiming lamp (Jungle)  

Quote by AIF View Post
    While I am at home alone today thought I would take a couple of pics of this rare and interesting piece of kit. It was designed to replace the larger and heavier MK3 for use in the Jungle.
    For those of you who dont know what an aiming lamp is, they are designed to be used for resetting your arcs of fire for the bren or vickers at night, so you knew how far to the left or right you could fire without shooting the back of your mate in the next foxholes head off, you would usually put a stick in the ground either side so at night you knew where you were shooting but If you happened to knock one over you would just simply pulled a piece of string that was attached to the lamp and you could reset everything.

Anyway heres the pics....
    First the whole kit... Pouch, lamp, spare battery box and string and the second shot shows the bayonet boss attachment on the back of the lamp
    Fantastic and rare indeed, I've never seen these also Thanks

AIF
    ?

Thanks Eric and Rene. I actually saw one of these jungle sets for sale about 2 years ago for $250 the seller was calling it a rare ww2 tripwire boobytrap... and it sold lol some people will believe anything.

Nice bit of kit AIF.
    I still remember live firing the old M-60 (weapon fires weapon stops IA ,weapon fires weapon stops IA lol) and in the exitement crossing over my aof markers(sticks) more than once.
    As you say saves the first catch being the back of a fellow diggers head in the real game.
    cheers
    Dave

bump