Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Blanco: all you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask..

Article about: Hi Guys, a great little site: http://www.blancoandwebbing.co.uk/ I have contributed some pics to it. Cheers, Ade.

Default Blanco: all you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask..

Hi Guys, a great little site:

http://www.blancoandwebbing.co.uk/

I have contributed some pics to it.

Cheers, Ade.

ian
    ?

Default Re: Blanco: all you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask..

hi ade im glad i never had to use the stuff looks rather messy,when i was in training they gave us 37 pat webbing (noammo pouches just joining straps )and small pack and l straps ,which they insisted we polished with black boot polish and of cours we had to polish the brass ,i often wondered why we had to black our webbing , they said cos thats what the armoured corp do,i think it had more to do with taking up our time (devil makes use and all that )
    but it did look smart all black and shinny brass
    cheers ian

Thank Ade

Nice one

?

Quote by ian View Post
    hi ade im glad i never had to use the stuff looks rather messy,when i was in training they gave us 37 pat webbing (noammo pouches just joining straps )and small pack and l straps ,which they insisted we polished with black boot polish and of cours we had to polish the brass ,i often wondered why we had to black our webbing , they said cos thats what the armoured corp do,i think it had more to do with taking up our time (devil makes use and all that )
    but it did look smart all black and shinny brass
    cheers ian

Royal Marines also used to do their webbing with black boot polish - certainly at the time of Suez, early/mid 50's.

?

Great site, Ade Thanks - this is all new to me and really informative.

?

Using Blanco was a bloody nightmare, messy and it sprayed everywhere, if you didnt use a button stick on the brasses it would take ages to remove all the excess,gaiters especially because you had to make sure the leather straps didnt get too wet or when it dried off there was a possibility that the leather had shrunk slightly, then there was putting black boot polish on the straps and trying not to get any on the bits you had just blancoed, hated it .Then if you had to clean the brasses with duraglit it used to stain the blanco,no matter how careful you were, the nco taking the parade would always find fault somewhere on the 37 webbing.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Using Blanco was a bloody nightmare, messy and it sprayed everywhere, if you didnt use a button stick on the brasses it would take ages to remove all the excess,gaiters especially because you had to make sure the leather straps didnt get too wet or when it dried off there was a possibility that the leather had shrunk slightly, then there was putting black boot polish on the straps and trying not to get any on the bits you had just blancoed, hated it .Then if you had to clean the brasses with duraglit it used to stain the blanco,no matter how careful you were, the nco taking the parade would always find fault somewhere on the 37 webbing.
    Hello Dave,
    I also felt the same way about bloody blanko. Unfortunately whilst training I was in the bugle, (bungle), band so had to use white blanco on a navy blue uniform. Absolute nightmare in the rain but even in the dry it still managed to get on to the uniform so had to hand wash the blue serge when everyone else was enjoying what little free time we had.
    As I heard many times......" If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined".
    Cheers,
    Guy.