Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIII

Article about: Hi, looking to buy these pouches. They appear original and dated 1945 if im reading correctly. But would like some opinions on them. Thanks Cheers. Nuno

Default British 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIII

Hi, looking to buy these pouches.
    They appear original and dated 1945 if im reading correctly.
    But would like some opinions on them.
    Thanks
    Cheers.
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIII   British 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIII  

British 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIII  

Default re: British 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIII

Hi Nuno, they are good original late war issue pouches.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

NCA
    ?

Did this type ever see any use in ww2?
    Regardless, they are in very nice condition.Never seen a pair with 45 dates..always seem to see 50's dated ones.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Nuno, they are good original late war issue pouches.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, i had a feeling they they were good.
    Just wanted to be 100% sure.

Thanks Ade.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Hi Nuno, the "Pouch, basic, Mark III" which you show was made by W M & S Ltd (M Wright & Sons Ltd) of Quorn Mills, Loughborough, Leicestershire. About 25 miles from where I live. They made web gear from WW1 onwards.

As to how much this pattern of pouch with the "quick release" fastener was used during WW2 is open to debate. I suspect they were used but in small numbers. This pattern of pouch with this fasterner was also made postwar.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: British 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIII

i have mk III ammo pouches from 44 and 57 with quick release. when i wanted to fit bren magazines into the ww II pouches i noticed that the pouches from 44 are smaller then the post war models. has anyone an idea why? has the webbing shrunken?

Quote by etalem View Post
    i have mk III ammo pouches from 44 and 57 with quick release. when i wanted to fit bren magazines into the ww II pouches i noticed that the pouches from 44 are smaller then the post war models. has anyone an idea why? has the webbing shrunken?
    I doubt they have shrunk more over the years than the rest of the webbing. As far as I know, the webbing were pre-shrunk from the factory, and were supposed not to shrink further.

Quote by etalem View Post
    The Mark III pouch is 1/2 inch larger to allow Sten mags to be more easily carried. Have a look at Karkee Web for more information on them:

Pattern 1937 Web Equipment

Nuno, if you got these then I'm very jealous!!!

Just picked up a 1952 dated pair of these for the 1950s Lancashire Fusilier manniquin I hope to show very soon. The quick release fastener is a direct linke to the later '58 patt pouches where it reappered in an improved design with the tab reinforced with a spring steel strip inside the tab as a stiffener to address the tendency of the tab to become soft and difficult to use with prolonged use.

These are in mint un-issued condition and were surprisingly cheap at £12.99!

I now have just about everything I need for the manniquin so "stay tuned"

British 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIIIBritish 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIIIBritish 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIIIBritish 37 pattern Basic pouches MKIII

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast