Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British army hoe 1941

Article about: by Watchdog That is a 1908 Pattern (WWII dated obviously) "Tool Entrenching" often referred to in equipment tables as a Mattock. The later pattern most seen in the WWII context has

?

Default British army Mattock 1941

British army hoe 1941

British army hoe 1941
    Last edited by Decima; 05-05-2021 at 01:48 PM.

That is a 1908 Pattern (WWII dated obviously) "Tool Entrenching" often referred to in equipment tables as a Mattock. The later pattern most seen in the WWII context has a metal attachment at the end of the helve (shaft) for the spike bayonet.

It is the generic shape that is sometimes described as a hoe but not Brit squaddie would ever associate the word with this.

Most Brits will understand the word hoe as a common gardening tool properly called a back hoe so a squaddie would be less than happy if you told him he was going to need a hoe

Where did you find it?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark,

Or Pick-Mattock. Don't forget the modern use of hoe! I can't remember ever being issued one of those!!

R

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Mark,

Or Pick-Mattock.

R
    Yep for sure. You've read the same documents as I have

The hoes live with the bass brooms and other "fatigues" related weaponry

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark,

Or Pick-Mattock. Don't forget the modern use of hoe! I can't remember ever being issued one of those!!

R
    But you do find ladies of a certain type objecting most vociferously to being called an old garden implement, usually during a "drive by shouting"

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    That is a 1908 Pattern (WWII dated obviously) "Tool Entrenching" often referred to in equipment tables as a Mattock. The later pattern most seen in the WWII context has a metal attachment at the end of the helve (shaft) for the spike bayonet.

It is the generic shape that is sometimes described as a hoe but not Brit squaddie would ever associate the word with this.

Most Brits will understand the word hoe as a common gardening tool properly called a back hoe so a squaddie would be less than happy if you told him he was going to need a hoe

Where did you find it?

Regards

Mark
    Hi Mark, I didn't know its name was Mattock, but I have immediately corrected the title of the post.
    I happened to find it in an old house that the owners were clearing out

Quote by Decima View Post
    Hi Mark, I didn't know its name was Mattock, but I have immediately corrected the title of the post.
    I happened to find it in an old house that the owners were clearing out
    Sometimes they are also called "Pick, Mattock" in military nomenclature as Ron (Vegetius) pointed out which seems kind of back to front but means it is a type of pick known as a Mattock.

I believe this type would be more common amongst non-infantry (vehicle borne) units whereas the other type with the bayonet attachment which was incorporated into the '37 patt webbing also doubled up as a close quarter weapon.

British army hoe 1941

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-05-2021 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Typo

The glorious personal defence weapon of many a guard duty!

The glorious personal defence weapon of many a guard duty!
    Ah yes, the venerable "Helve Pick, Intruder Discouraging"

I recall an edict from my Commanding Officer in basic training which dictated "Henceforce NCOs of this Battalion shall cease carrying 'Sticks Beasting'. However, they may as a matter of personal choice carry 'Sticks Walking' as an alternative

Sorry guys, that's an "in joke" for those having served in the British Forces. 'Sticks Beasting' was any kind of length of timber or similar refined or not carried routinely by instructors typically on field or PT exercises that were also known as 'Sticks Attitude Adjustment' and a pick helve was one less imaginative/creative example

On occasion when one's attitude fell below the requisite level of positivity the Beasting Stick was the perfect tool to bump it up a notch

Laugh? I nearly did

Regards

Mark

Sticks encouraging or sticks -pain assisted learning. Remember, pain is an orgasm of the brain so enjoy it while you can!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast