Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British, Canadian, Indian & South African P37 Webbing Anklets

Article about: Anklets, Web Webbing anklets were introduced with Battle Dress in the late 1930's, replacing the long wool puttees and Service Dress of the Great War. They were made in four sizes (1-4) and

Quote by karkee View Post
    Thanks René! That's a great looking set!

It looks like your set has metal buttons, are they marked Defence Department? I have seen similar wool anklets with plastic buttons, I wonder if those are later production...
    Cheers Mate I'd say later prod also going by the V445 code, I know the buttons you are talking about which I normally see on trousers, these are plain
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-09-2015 at 03:15 AM. Reason: added text

Aussie 45 pair I just struggled (had to look through my picture archive to give me a clue on where they where) to locate in the junk pile!!!!

Here's the puttees 41 and the leg sock thingy's
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-09-2015 at 05:59 AM. Reason: added pic

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Aussie 45 pair I just struggled (had to look through my picture archive to give me a clue on where they where) to locate in the junk pile!!!!
    Those are great anklets René! I did some quick research on the maker PR, do you think it might be Pioneer Rubber Proprietary Limited?

Here is clipping from 1948...

Geeze, great research! I'm not sure? but you are most likely on the money there

?

Thanks René! I hope I got it right, maybe we can add it to the short list of Aussie webbing makers I started a while back...

I thought these might be of interest to some. I drew these from stores at my RNR unit this week for guard training. Very odd to see dates in the 1990s, used to seeing 1940s stamps!
    British, Canadian, Indian & South African P37 Webbing AnkletsBritish, Canadian, Indian & South African P37 Webbing AnkletsBritish, Canadian, Indian & South African P37 Webbing Anklets

?

Wow, that is late!! I wonder if the firm that made it was a descendant of one of the wartime webbing manufacturers?

Thanks for the photos Warspite!

Congratulation,
    great research and nice thread,
    if I can make a contribution, I have this example 1945 marked.

cheers
    Roberto
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British, Canadian, Indian & South African P37 Webbing Anklets   British, Canadian, Indian & South African P37 Webbing Anklets  

?

Thanks for posting the pictures Roberto! You have a very nice pair of late production Indian-made anklets there! Note the web straps without brass tips. Also, I'm surprised to see the leather crescents and I am wondering if these were added later, as they partially obscure the inspection stamps. I think that anklets marked "WEB CO 1945" were made by the same firm that made anklets marked "G.W.CO.LTD. 1944". I believe this firm to be Gwalior Webbing Company, Limited.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast