Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Commando Bergen ?

Article about: All the best for 2016 everyone ! I picked this before Christmas for a few quid I am curious if it is indeed a Commando Bergen Its smaller that others I have seen, I am not sure if they were

Default British Commando Bergen ?

All the best for 2016 everyone !

I picked this up before Christmas for a few quid

I am curious if it is indeed a Commando Bergen ?

Its smaller that others I have seen, I am not sure if they were produced in different sizes perhaps ? Its about 18" from top to bottom, I am unsure of its capacity

Dated 1943

Thanks for looking

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Commando Bergen ?   British Commando Bergen ?  

British Commando Bergen ?   British Commando Bergen ?  

British Commando Bergen ?   British Commando Bergen ?  

ILH
    ?

OOOH, intriguing .

Quite a few features differing from a commando bergen, particularly the shoulder strap arrangement. The commando bergens I have and have seen vary a bit in 1941, but conform to pattern in 1942 so i'd say it isn't quite a 'commando' bergen as it's dated 43.

looking at the handwriting, do you think Buffalo is the town in the USA? in which case it could be a british made item for the americans (often hear of americans using commando bergens, but have yet to see one outside of a photograph- although it would have to be made pretty late in 43?)

The other possibilty is that quite a few commando bergens were refashioned for hikers after the war and there are also post-war erzatz commando-esque bergens made from army surplus bits of ww2 date.... but yours looks far too well made for this.

I look forward to finding out too........... Karkee?

HI

Thanks for the response. Yes it is a odd one, that's why I bought it.

I do not think its been modified in any way, all the stitching looks contemporary and is perfectly proportioned.

The colour, I would say not Khaki, more of a light sandy colour, although it is quite dirty but in great condition, apart from a very small bit of damage to the shoulder strap but its still very useable

Cheers

Hi Martin, not seen this one before either. Not the regular Brit Bergan, nor is it the ATS rucksack, nor is it the US Mountain troopers Bergan.

Interesting!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade

Any other ideas ???

Cheers

In terms of the colour and the leather straps to secure the pockets it is closest in appearance to the US mountain rucksack, although there are differences to the US made ones that I can find (the main one being that yours does not have two webbing straps to secure the top of the bergen and the frame is different). Could it be a British made variant for the US?

Colour wise, this is the closest I can find

webbingbabel: British Army Pattern 42 Bergan Rucksack

Cheers

Is it possible this for use by a female hence its small size ?? Civilian production during the war ?

I am hoping not of course !!

It has the WD stamp so not civilian use I suppose

SOE perhaps ??

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    It has the WD stamp so not civilian use I suppose

SOE perhaps ??
    Any other thoughts this weekend gentlemen ?

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast