Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Enamel Mug 1943 ?

Article about: Hi, I have just purchased a ww2 British Brown enamel mug, markings are makers name . regina, crows foot and 1943. It was on a buy it now on ebay so didnt have much time to think, Description

Default British Enamel Mug 1943 ?

Hi, I have just purchased a ww2 British Brown enamel mug, markings are makers name . regina, crows foot and 1943. It was on a buy it now on ebay so didnt have much time to think, Description, stunning, near mint, problem now being I cant find anything on web for information, just wondered if anyone has any input, If genuine good buy if not ???. Had to take a chance though first one Ive seen in 14 months of collecting, TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images British Enamel Mug  1943 ?  British Enamel Mug  1943 ?  British Enamel Mug  1943 ? 

Default Re: British Enamel Mug 1943 ?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I must say I am highly dubious of the markings. Most wartime examples of these are totally unmarked. I would like to see a clear photo. But another concern is the colour: see how it is a much more brick red shade of brown. Most post war production is this colour. Personally I would not have bought the one you show. Up until about 10 years ago you could buy 1952 dated mugs in quatity in a couple of surplus stores local to me. Some were unmarked. They were 50p each. Then the dealers moved in and bought them all. Many reappeared with bogus dates etc. Of course the price increased too even on the '52 dated ones.

Here are two from my collection. Note the colour, also out of interest the slight difference in sizes. Note too the simple handle on the one on the right.

See the underside of a wartime made mug as illustrated, these will usually exhibit three "dots" in the enamel. This is where they stood on a stand during the firing process to dry the enamel.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Enamel Mug  1943 ?   British Enamel Mug  1943 ?  

ian
    ?

ade the dealer your talking about (no names no pack drill) wouldnt hapen to be just out side of alfreton by chance
    ian

Hi Ian, yes there and at their Nottm depot. Also at another surplus shop in Burton.

Cheers, Ade.

ian
    ?

well yea we got that one then something to do with keeping a ship in place yea

Actually, I don't mind giving them a free advert. I have done well buying from them over the years. But I have not been in there for a good couple of years now. I pass the Nottm store most weeks on business. WW2 stuff has just dried up there now. Like everywhere else.

Cheers, Ade.

Either way it's a pretty good looking "Cowboy Cup" I have US 1945 canteen cup that I use/ used for everything. I've had beer from it, but the beer day's are over, I have my morning coffee in it, and I have milk and cookies from it every once in awhile, but the cookies are low fat sugar free, Oh and Coke Zero, There's something special about having a sip out of an old classic. Every cowboy sings a sad sad song, you know.
    Mike

Thanks for reply ade, this one was on ebay, seller from Yorkshire 100% feedback, should be here in a couple of days will post better pics then, cheers

Hi Ade, mug arrived today these are about the best pics i could muster, colour seems darker than first pics see what you think on markings, andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Enamel Mug  1943 ?   British Enamel Mug  1943 ?  

Hi Andy, I certainly like the colour. Much better. I honestly don't know about these markings.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast