Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British gas mask

Article about: Hi guys thought I would share a gas mask i picked up today for \\$30.00 can anyone tell me what the cork in the picture is for?? Annoyed from this ads?   Cheers Dan

Default British gas mask

Hi guys thought I would share a gas mask i picked up today for $30.00 can anyone tell me what the cork in the picture is for??

Cheers Dan

British gas maskBritish gas maskBritish gas mask

I think that the cork is for easier removal of the cover from the gas mask filter (brand new filters are attached with covers to protect them and indicate that were not in use already)

?

Is it a light anti-gas mask? Australian ones had camouflage, Brit one didn't.
    Two different size cork stoppers for sealing the filter and mouthpiece openings are connected by a short length of cotton tape.
    Light anti-gas mask respirator : Australian Army | Australian War Memorial

Tony

This is a postwar type light gas mask used by the British army in the 1950's and 60's.

No to the camo, cheers douglas for the info,the filter is 1940's dated so i take it the 50'60's mask took the same filters as the 40's? cheers dan

Yes indeed, they are almost identical, differing only in the shape of the front outlet. Your example is of course dated Nov 53 on the harness.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British gas mask   British gas mask  

NCA
    ?

The smaller cork fits in the filter and the larger cork fits inside the mask to the inlet valve.

?

The Corks plug the filter while in store or in your webbing as a spare filter. 58 patten respirators had provision in the pouch for a spare filter.

Regards
    Tiffy

?

A collector on another forum claimed he had one of the late pattern outlet valves dated 1945. He never produced a picture and I have my doubts, but a lot of war-time manufactured masks were fitted with these valves post-war.

Until the large stocks came out of Scandinavia about 10 years ago war-time dated examples in good unperished condition with the correct pattern outlet valves were practically unknown. I always thought the corks were to keep water out which would destroy the charcoal.

NCA
    ?

The corks were to waterproof the filter while its attached...it doesn't fit the screw end of the filter when its not attached.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast