Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

British Gas mask pouch

Article about: I got this gas mask pouch from my neighbor a couple days ago(He had used it to carry fishing tools in). It is in pretty good condition and it is dated 11/43(I think). I also noticed that the

Default British Gas mask pouch

I got this gas mask pouch from my neighbor a couple days ago(He had used it to carry fishing tools in). It is in pretty good condition and it is dated 11/43(I think). I also noticed that there is a name and serial number on it, is it possible to find the solider that wore it?

His name is R.Denning and his serial number is 968119

British Gas mask pouch
    British Gas mask pouch
    British Gas mask pouch
    British Gas mask pouch
    British Gas mask pouch
    British Gas mask pouch

Thanks!
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: British Gas mask pouch

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this the gas mask carrier for the WWII British Civil Gas Mask? I bought one of these masks for my kid, last year, and it came in the exact same carrier.

Hi Russ, this is the military lightweight respirator bag. Issued from 1943 onwards to replace the older style respirator and bag worn on the chest.

Hi Vegar, you are correct on the date. The serial number would be for a soldier in the Royal Artillery. Sadly he cannot be researched as our archives are basically closed to all but next of kin.

Cheers, Ade.

That is such a shame! I really wish I could find out more about the guy that had it, and possibly talk to him/living relatives. The bag was apparently bought in a "Used shop" a couple years after the war, so the soldier might have been part of the British force that was sent to Norway in 1945?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Hi Vegar, who knows, it is possible...

Just for info's sake, here is the MOD's statement on applying for service records:

Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Personnel | Service Records | Making a Request for Information held on the Personnel Records of Deceased Service Personnel

Cheers, Ade.

Ade, thanks for the clarification. Here is a photo of our mask and carrier, could you tell me of they are a correct match?

British Gas mask pouch

I do see some differances between the carrier ID'd in this thread vs ours, I just want to be sure know we have the right carrier for our Civi mask....

Sorry for hijacking the thread with this....

Russ

The correct carrier for the Civilian Duty Respirator is a more lightweight and simply constructed canvas bag with a flap on top held closed by two buttons, there is also another type of carrier of a similar design, but with a draw string instead. For some reason theres quite a lot of CD Respirators with Lightweight Anti-Gas Respirator carriers though, you arent the only one with such a mix and match set.

Thanks

Danny

Thanks Danny for your input. I'm going to have the kid pull the GM out this evening and take a closer look, see if I can figure it out and if not, take a mess of photos and post in a new thread, need to let this one get back on the originators track....