Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British made WW2 US canteen cover: Authentic?

Article about: Dear all, After I have spent the last weeks to complete my (humble) US reenactment may I ask you what you think about this British made WW2 US canteen cover please? It's authentic? By the wa

Default British made WW2 US canteen cover: Authentic?

Dear all,

After I have spent the last weeks to complete my (humble) US reenactment may I ask you what you think about this British made WW2 US canteen cover please? It's authentic? By the way: Why were British made covers distributed to the US Army et all?

With best wishes
    alter musketier

British made WW2 US canteen cover: Authentic?British made WW2 US canteen cover: Authentic?British made WW2 US canteen cover: Authentic?British made WW2 US canteen cover: Authentic?British made WW2 US canteen cover: Authentic?
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Made for Lend Lease to repay the US war loans, This one is odd that it has the WD war department stamp on it! none of my UK made US kit has this, only an inspectors mark & British made on them. WD would signify British issue, but hey I could be wrong.

It is odd that it says WD for American use. The font of that stamp looks off to me too.

I have a few British made pieces of US web gear (first aid pouches)..

There is also a book about British made US field gear.. Here is the link to our Forum Reference Library and the book.. It is post # 17..

The Western Allies - Equipment and Field gear

Smitty

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your information and your answers. Besides the stamp does the piece have a chance to be genuine WW2 US at all?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

I don't like the stamp at all. I think it is all repro.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Dear Ade,

Thank you very much.

With best wishes
    alter musketier

Ahh I'll chuck this one here from my book/magazine archive! I do love my collection of these bits!