Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian Bren Gunner No.2 Pouches Patt '37

Article about: Sorry Just wasting server space here! two sets I have.

Default Canadian Bren Gunner No.2 Pouches Patt '37

Sorry Just wasting server space here! two sets I have.

?

Nice pouches and its great to see Mo!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Nice pouches and its great to see Mo!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Cheers Phil, handful they are!! Loving it I must say

?

Nice couple of sets mate.
    Funny how there seems to be more NOS Canadian webbing in Australia than in Canada
    PS They are MkII Utility pouches not Bren Gun ones, though I'm sure they put mags of whatever they could fit in there.
    Cheers Rick

A lot of Canadian made webbing was exported to Australia and New Zealand during the war. Much of the P37 webbing used by NZ Forces in the Pacific was Canadian made.

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Nice couple of sets mate.
    Funny how there seems to be more NOS Canadian webbing in Australia than in Canada
    PS They are MkII Utility pouches not Bren Gun ones, though I'm sure they put mags of whatever they could fit in there.
    Cheers Rick
    Thanks Rick,

This is how I figured they are gunner no.2's

Quote by Anderson View Post
    A lot of Canadian made webbing was exported to Australia and New Zealand during the war. Much of the P37 webbing used by NZ Forces in the Pacific was Canadian made.
    Hey Anderson, Did NZ ever make the kit?

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Thanks Rick,

This is how I figured they are gunner no.2's
    I don't think Canada made a large bren gun pouch ever , I'm pretty sure otherwise the market here would be flooded with them
    They just used the existing MkII Pouch and added an extra person to cover the shortfall in ammo carrying capability .
    Cheers Rick

Ahh they are larger than the mkII or am I missing something?

This quote from the great Karkee Web site helps to clarify.
    Pattern 1937 Web Equipment

"Stores Ref. A1/AA 1515 Pouch, utility, front, with waist strap
    Stores Ref. CN/AA 1515 Web Equipment, Patt. 37, Pouch, utility, front, with waist strap

These were introduced by List of Changes No. L. of C. §B1624, with the statement that they could be “…worn over either the patt. ’08 or the patt. ’37 web equipment…” – note the lack of capitals! As such, they were not given any Pattern Year nomenclature. It was an oversized Basic pouch, which could contain three Bren magazines, to the Basic pouch’s two magazines. This was settled-on as the best way to supplement ammunition carriage for the Bren L.M.G., Boys A.T. and 2-in. O.S.B. mortar. It could also take a Mark VI water bottle. Where the Basic pouch had a 1-in. 4-bar buckle (Buckle, brass, 1-in. with loop) at the top rear, the U.P. had a 3-bar buckle, of 1 1/2-inch strap accommodation, on a correspondingly wider chape / fairlead. At the bottom rear face, a 1-inch wide waist strap was stitched, carrying a 1-inch buckle. Viewed from the rear, the buckle extended to the right. On some early supplies, loops for ballistite cartridges were stitched to the underside of the lid. When Patt. ’08 W.E. was made obsolete by L. of C. §C2568, there was no need for a nomenclature change, but L. of C. §C4686 finally made them part of Patt. ’37 in 1951.

Stores Ref. A1/AA 1516 Pouch, utility, rear, with loop
    Stores Ref. CN/AA 1516 Web Equipment, Patt. 37, Pouch, utility, rear, with loop

The Pouch, utility, rear, with loop was the same size as the Front pouch, fitted with the same buckle, but with a wide fairlead at the base of the rear face. The waist strap was threaded through this, to connect with the 1-inch buckle on the Front pouch."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast