Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Coventry made british Jerry Can

Article about: I remember this appearing on ebay a couple of years ago and have since bought it from that purchaser It is acording to what is painted on it the 5 milionth can made. I see from the internet

Default Coventry made british Jerry Can

I remember this appearing on ebay a couple of years ago and have since bought it from that purchaser

It is acording to what is painted on it the 5 milionth can made.

I see from the internet there were two makers of jerry cans in coventry Williams & Williams and Rubery Owen i would say this probably was W&W

Anyone got any thoughts
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coventry made british Jerry Can   Coventry made british Jerry Can  

Coventry made british Jerry Can  

I think W & W is Willow and Willow not Williams and Williams.

Great can to have , can you post a close up the 5,000,000 the at the bottom.

I took the williams and williams from a internet search that found a lady who worked at williams and williams and rubery owen during the war,i had previously noted the profusion of people mentioning willow and willow and wondered if there was proof of either factory existing,i will try and find the quote and take a pic of writing
    Do we think its the 5 millionth at that factory ?

Willow and Willow are in Phillipe Leger's book with no mention of Williams and Williams but he has been mistaken before. It is difficult to find any reference to any of the British manufacturers. 5,000,000 seems quite a high number for one of the lesser known manufacturers but it looks very original.

You also say Coventry in the title but Chester is written on the can, did you make a typo or do you have more information ?

I have found Williams and Williams as a large Metal Window and door manufacturer in Chester so a good chance you are correct.

Just found this great image........Women Welders at Williams & Williams, Chester
    Ethel LĂ©ontine Gabain
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coventry made british Jerry Can  

Nice pic Roger,as you say typo or old f-rt not paying attention more likely,Looks hopefull for williams and williams then,its definately of the time and not a made up piece,should be in a museum really.Thats the can and not me....

I dont think much of the ladies face and lung protection.Nice details in pic

Found the bit i was after
    My mother joined necks on Jerry cans in the Chester works of Williams & Williams and then Rubery Owen in WW1 1939 until 1945

When not doing that she welded pontoon bridge.
    .......... Derek Jones, Wrexham, North Wales, 3rd of October 2014
    Museum of Technology, The History of Gadgets and Gizmos

There two other factory photos of jerry can workers in the chester grosvenor museum showing cutting out of jerry cans and in the canteen,my computer is on a go slow with all the activity so i cant copy them,they made ammo boxes too so i guessthats why each lady has one by her side in the pic

I think these must be the two pictures unless there are more ......

Top one canteen bottom one is machining the Jerrycan blank.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coventry made british Jerry Can   Coventry made british Jerry Can  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast