Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anyone collect Shillelaghs?

Article about: As seen in these images, 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment carries Shillelaghs in formation & at Parade Rest. The third image is of their celebration of St. Patrick's day and handin

Default Does anyone collect Shillelaghs?

As seen in these images, 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment carries Shillelaghs in formation & at Parade Rest. The third image is of their celebration of St. Patrick's day and handing out shamrocks.

This is an early weapon that commemorates the Irish heritage of the 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment. Members of a number of Irish regiments in the British Armed Forces have traditionally carried Blackthorn sticks (Shillelaghs), including officers of the Irish Guards, the Royal Irish Regiment and the Royal Dragoon Guards. Officers and senior non-commissioned officers of the 1st Battalion/69th Infantry Regiment (The Fighting 69th) of the New York Army National Guard's 27th Infantry Brigade also carry shillelaghs whilst on parade. (Info courtesy Wikipedia)

Being of Irish descent, I've had interest in these and recent back fusion surgery has prompted me to order 2 of these from Shillelagh makes in Ireland. Since back issues have caused havoc, the need for this is readily apparent with walking challenges and also for use in self defense against roaming dogs and those who think an impaired old man is a potential target for their criminal mischief.

So researching Shillelaghs I found these images. Traditional Shillelaghs are made from Blackthorn shrubbery although Whitethorn is used to make these along with other woods . For the Shillelagh to be traditional the wood must come from Ireland.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does anyone collect Shillelaghs?   Does anyone collect Shillelaghs?  

Last edited by Rich Moran; 07-16-2022 at 02:29 AM.

Hi Rich, I dont collect them, this was my GGFs one and also being of Irish descent, I like the connection to him and the old country.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I also have one from my great grandfather almost the same as Danmarks example...but the knot end at the top was fitted with either human or animal bone...and its rock hard !!

I will get a pic of it and post it soon.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

As an heirloom, a Shillelagh is a precious link to the past. Larry, good chance with a bone cap it is a lead weighted Shillelagh or what's called a "loaded" Shillelagh. Would love to see it!. Thank you Danmark for posting an image of your Great Grand Fathers.

Were both your Great Grand Fathers military men or carried these for a walk softly and carry a big stick? From what I gather average weight is 300 to about 650 grams. A "loaded" Shillelagh is heavier.

This one is my first purchase from McCaffery Crafts. Francis is a third generation Shillelagh maker & has an on-line shop if anyone is interested.

This particular type is called a pistol grip. One of the other features is instead of the thorns having been completely removed, there are stubs remaining from the Blackthorn and if flesh gets struck by them it'd make a mess of the skin. The one in the images is 36" and weighs 340 grams.

The military type have the Blackthorns completely removed and the stubs sanded down for ease of under the arm carry. After 2 to 3 years curing, they are straightened using heat and locked into forms to remove as many bends as possible.

Additionally the bark is removed, the exposed wood fine sanded to smooth the stubs and the staff portion coated. In the old days these were put into a chimney for years after curing to allow soot to collect. Some were buried in manure and others put over a fire to blacken the staff. Then these were oiled with animal fat to produce a black sheen. When shoe polish became available that was used as well.

Today, the curing is done by allowing the wood to dry, then heated by either heat gun or propane torch. As they are heated they are locked into the straightening form to remove as many bends as possible. Then sanded down, with a gloss coat applied and just about an inch below the handle a black coating is applied.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does anyone collect Shillelaghs?   Does anyone collect Shillelaghs?  

Does anyone collect Shillelaghs?   Does anyone collect Shillelaghs?  

My GGF was RAMC in the first war, his father was 76th Regiment of foot in India & Burma 1865-1878 and then at home in Castlebar, Ireland. So it could have belonged to both?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    My GGF was RAMC in the first war, his father was 76th Regiment of foot in India & Burma 1865-1878 and then at home in Castlebar, Ireland. So it could have belonged to both?
    Quite possibly and I would believe so. That's some real family heirloom history you can hold. I do know that people are looking for the older made Shillelaghs as sometimes these are listed as antiques in on line sales sites.

Any images by chance?

I only have GGF's medals and miniatures, nothing from his father sadly.....

Your fortunate to have that Danmark.

Hi Rich ...my Great Grandfather as far as I know was not in the military as no mention of it was made ...but he was a member of the Orange Order. Thats all I know

I have not forgotten photos as I have been in and out of the house all weekend and will take a few pics later tonight.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Here are the photos of my GGfather Shillelagh
    It doesnt feel that there may be a lead weight beneath that bone cap

Does anyone collect Shillelaghs? Does anyone collect Shillelaghs? Does anyone collect Shillelaghs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast