MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Enamel Mugs of the British Empire

Article about: One seemingly difficult bit of British Empire kit to find is the "Mug, Enamel". These mugs were widely issued to troops all over the Empire and could hold one pint of fluid. They s

?

Attached a couple more pictures. One shows the D-D stamp recessed under the outer enamel.
    I pondered how they supported the mug in the kiln for a while before I found the answer: A hook through the handle! There are two tiny tell-tale points inside the handle where the enamel touched the hook and they are located right on the balancing point for suspending the mug.
    Oz.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enamel Mugs of the British Empire   Enamel Mugs of the British Empire  

?

Thanks for the additional pictures! It looks like your mug has a black rim and handle as well (I wonder if that was a stronger color like the blue). Great deduction with the hook on the handle, I'll check mine for similar marks (though my example has a lot of chipping on the handle).

?

Had a stroke of luck today, found another mug!
    This one has a greenish colour and slightly different proportions to the blue one. I think it was also handle-hung. Note the stamp difference.

Oz.

Quote by Ubique View Post
    Had a stroke of luck today, found another mug!
    This one has a greenish colour and slightly different proportions to the blue one. I think it was also handle-hung. Note the stamp difference.

Oz.
    Lovely Oz

...and coming from an Ugly Mug that's praise indeed!! :-)

?

Spotted this one on Ebay.

Oz.

When it comes to spotting these things, it has to be said that you’re no mug. :-)

?

Ebay is source of bottomless replenishment!
    Anyhow its my cup of tea and I like to keep a 'handle' on these things ;-D

Oz, getting his coat.

Interesting - can someone tell me please a bit about the ones I have if possible?, I thought they were all wartime but now I don't know so much? - the one thing I do know though is that they are not modern.
    Enamel Mugs of the British EmpireEnamel Mugs of the British EmpireEnamel Mugs of the British EmpireEnamel Mugs of the British Empire

?

The problem with all mugs of this type is how to date them or even with some if they are even military production. Very few have any markings apart from the late war examples. Sabre Sales had crates full of green and brown mugs at one time which it was assumed were 50's production. I have a green mug with a black rim and the three spots on the bottom.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast