Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Enamel Mugs of the British Empire

Article about: One seemingly difficult bit of British Empire kit to find is the "Mug, Enamel". These mugs were widely issued to troops all over the Empire and could hold one pint of fluid. They s

Found this thread and was wondering if anyone has seen a mug like this or enlighten me on it.

As you can see it looks like a standard brown British one pint mug but has no markings in the enamel and has only two faint white paint markings inside of a rectangle.

It’s about 3.5 inches (9cm) high and 3.75 inches (9.5cm) across. I can’t make out the markings but I think they may be numbers.

Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enamel Mugs of the British Empire   Enamel Mugs of the British Empire  

?

Then there were three.
    Not too bad for $5 (about two pounds). The one on the left.

?

Enamel Mugs of the British EmpireEnamel Mugs of the British Empire

Here is my own rather ugly mug: from what I understand, it was made in India, but my question is do you think such mugs might have been carried and used by British or Canadian soldiers in Europe during WW2?

I know that the general consensus is that India catered for the South-East Asian theatre of operations and that shipping tin mugs around the globe wasn't exactly a top priority during the war, but, as black and white photos do not help much, would anybody on here know whether these green enamel mugs are attested in North-Western Europe in 1944 and later?

Default Aussie Marking of Stores

I've been reading, with quite some interest, some of these older threads.

Karkee, the Department of Defence D^D marking was introduced before WW1, to the best of my knowledge, it was first published in the Ordnance Store Services of the Commonwealth Military Forces - Department of Defence, 1910 - Marking of Stores (page 15). This marking, I will admit, is rarely seen till the interwar years, however this shouldn't automatically exclude anything marked with it being only interwar or later.

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enamel Mugs of the British Empire  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4