Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Field Telephone Help

Article about: I have two of these Field Telephones, come with the correct carrying strap, but what confuses me is there is no winder handle on the side. It just has a plate where it would go which looks a

Default Field Telephone Help

I have two of these Field Telephones, come with the correct carrying strap, but what confuses me is there is no winder handle on the side. It just has a plate where it would go which looks as though it was always there and not an addition. It also doesn't have the clip bit on the lid to snap the winder into. Made by Ericsson Telephones Ltd Beeston Notts.
    Field Telephone Help
    Field Telephone Help

Perhaps designed to be direct lines not requiring a ring generator? There are German phones stripped down to very basic elements in a similar fashion. I only know the mechanics of German phones so hopefully others will chime in. Neil

dsk
    ?

Did not see this until now, never seen this model, but it looks British, and the Brits used some phones with just buzzer tone instead of a hand-crank.

It may be model: LMK 1/1 end should have a hole for a crank on the right side.

Model L MK1 (YA 6989) maybe? NH

?

Maybe one of the Don't call us, We'll call you types.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I can't seem to find how to post, but my problem is relevant to the thread, I've got 4 British and two german field telephones, DDR & ww2, in theory they should all be compatible, mine are installed in line, but I have loads of issues of the system working then not, mainly talking and listening not the ringer. So how do you run a field telephone system with multiple telephones on it?...cheers

dsk
    ?

The sound system is pretty equal on German and British field phones, so thy should work well together, Th British had some phones without generator, but they had a howler so you should hear the call well in an FF-33, both phones should have ringers and they should ring when you crank the phones with a generator. The best way to connect them is to have a pair of twisted wire, and connect all the phones between the 2 wires. (parallel) By theory all those should work at the same line. As you know theory and practices is equal in the theory, but not always in practices, so try to start with 2 add the third, etc, on may cause all the trouble. I am more familiar with posting and using the forum Classic Rotary Phones Forum - Index and even when this is not rotary phones it is lots of expertise available there.

I one ran a bunch of field phones a long time ago (Aust/UK and US) together using speaker wire and a 9v battery (going by memory) got all the ringers and buzzers working. Couple of my field phones pictured.

dsk
    ?

Be careful with increased voltage on the phones. Carbon transmitters (microphones) may be "fryed" when the current is rising. Traditional 9V batteries does have a pretty high internal resistance that usually protects the transmitters so they are often pretty OK. German field phones was designed for 1.5V most others 3V. If you have to replace the transmitter capsules with one from a regular phone, you may need to increase the voltage. The ideal current will be in the range of 20-30 mA so putting an milliamp meter in series, and increasing the voltage to reach this current will usually be the described way to do it. (Or just try carefully to it is working good enough) :-)