Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German made Greek gasmask

Article about: Would like to share this German made Greek army gas mask from my collection. These have been used during ww2 and have also been exported to Bulgaria. These examples are of an unknown type an

Default German made Greek gasmask

Would like to share this German made Greek army gas mask from my collection. These have been used during ww2 and have also been exported to Bulgaria. These examples are of an unknown type and not common ones.

The face piece looks generally like the GM30, with the use of glass instead of plastic in the glasses and a long corrugated tube, resembling the one of GM24. The filter is also looking like a short version of the GM24 filter. It's marked with the initials of the Greek Army, dated 1937 and it's bearing the WaA stamp along with 2 Greek acceptance stamps.

Regards, Giorgos

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...1&d=1276682102
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German made Greek gasmask   German made Greek gasmask  

German made Greek gasmask   German made Greek gasmask  

Default Re: German made Greek gasmask

Thanks for showing its quite a difficult mask to find, I've only seen a handful of these and yours looks to be in really good condition Theres been a story going about that these are GM-24/30 Export Masks that were sent all over Europe as these masks have been found to have various different markings and stamps, but I'm unsure how true/accurate that story actually is. None the less its a very interesting mask

Thanks

Danny

I am glad you like it Danny! I knew that these were exported to Greece and Bulgaria, never heard they were more widely exported, what markings have you seen?

Here is a period photo during an a/a gun shot. The carrying bags are nearly impossible to find, I have seen one being offered just once in 7 years!

Regards, Giorgos

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German made Greek gasmask  

The only ones that I've seen photographs of are Greek and Bulgarian issue ones, but I've heard of some with Czech markings however I havent seen any photographs of these markings so I'm unsure how accurate that claim actually is.

Thats a really good photograph of the masks actually being used, its actually the first that I've seen I've seen only 2 of these masks for sale in the past 5 years, one of which is for sale on LMàG © 2007 just incase anyone is interested

Thanks

Danny

The carrier on LMàG © 2007 is the one I was actually talking about, but I couldn't remember the link! Thanks! Never saw another, even here, in Greece!

I have actually seen 4 of these gasmasks for sale -one of which being that of your link- and I just grabbed mine without stopping to think about it! The funny thing is that by the outbreak of the war in 1940, greek armed forces had 206.000 gasmasks (british and several type german ones) available. So there might still be a huge supply of these in army depots, if they were not destroyed at some point!

Regards, Giorgos

I'm suprised no one has bought the one from gasmasks.net, as these are quite rare masks however not as saught after as other types but none the less they are worth a place in anyones collection

You did a good job getting it, so was it a bargain or just the normal reasonable price? I guess we can just dream that there is some big supply of these waiting to be found in some warehouse You never know, a pile of British Light Anti Gas Respirators was discovered a few years back, hence them being easy to find now

Thanks

Danny

That was not really what I would call a bargain, it was in "standard" price. That is, having seen just a handful of these being sold, what appears to be a "standard" price, about 150 euros.

Greek uniforms and gear are becoming pretty rare and have already reached the prices of German militaria over here... Pretty sad, I hope that these warehouses do exist and that they will open soon...

Regards, Giorgos

150 Euro's isnt too bad, considering that this is a very difficult mask to find compared to others masks in that price range

Its a pity that Greek uniforms and equipment dont get as much attention as items from other countries such as Germany, Russia, UK, US etc.... Yet theres still a few specific collectors out there that have an interest

Thanks

Danny