Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hand cranked Air Raid Siren

Article about: In our stores at RAF Metheringham we have this air raid siren that was donated to us years ago. I’m not 100% sure if it’s wartime or post war. I believe wartime examples have a tubular t

Default Hand cranked Air Raid Siren

In our stores at RAF Metheringham we have this air raid siren that was donated to us years ago.
    I’m not 100% sure if it’s wartime or post war.
    I believe wartime examples have a tubular tripod however this one is not a tripod shape.
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks

NickHand cranked Air Raid SirenHand cranked Air Raid SirenHand cranked Air Raid Siren
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Wish I could help! I'd nearly kill to crank it up! thanks for showing.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe this is a Cold War (1950s) period item.

Is it branded 'Secomak' (Service Electric Co, I think)?

Also there may be a date stamp possibly on a Mod plate somewhere although I imagine you have looked?

Regards

Mark

PS Albeit of '50s origin they did remain on issue right up to the '90s before final withdrawal from unit stores.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-15-2022 at 10:11 AM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I have always thought this style were post war too.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Awesome things these.

Getting one had been on my 'want' list since I was a child and a few years back I finally found a nice one.

It gets used once or twice a year just for the hell of it. Even the neighbours think it is cool.

Hand cranked Air Raid Siren

Nice one Jamie

Do you think these are post war?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Nice one Jamie

Do you think these are post war?

Nick
    Hi Nick, when I said I wasn't 100% certain I was referring to the actual maker etc. These are post-war and I remember them in service. About ten years ago they started to appear on militaria fairs such as War and Peace. This being commensurate with large disposal sales surrounding draw down of forces and the so-called "peace dividend".

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for the confirmation Mark

Nick

A few years ago, I worked the night shift in a warehouse that had been a former RAF base which closed in 1967. On my first night back in 1992, I went to find the toilet and found one of those things just lying around ( no tripod and probably not the same model) after all those years and decided to turn the handle to see what would happen. Needless to say, when the supervisor and the rest of the team came running out of the canteen to see what was going on, I wasn't too popular. I wish I could have sneaked it out of the warehouse though. I think it had a made in Germany badge on it though, which is a bit ironic.

It’s amazing how much noise comes out of these things!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast