Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hand Tools -Broad Arrow marked

Article about: Over the years searching through swap meetings (auto jumbles) and the odd garage sale (yard sale) I have turned up a few tools marked with the broad arrow and a year showing that they were o

I can't tell you much about these boxes other than they are normally associated with the Royal Navy and often have the Users service number on the brass plate.

Here is one of mine with the Royal Navy number painted on.
    They are well designed and made and the little fittings on the lid stop the three trays from sliding or jumping around .

Quote by Roger M View Post
    I can't tell you much about these boxes other than they are normally associated with the Royal Navy and often have the Users service number on the brass plate.
    Quote by Roger M View Post
    They are well designed and made and the little fittings on the lid stop the three trays from sliding or jumping around .
    Thanks for the info! I believe that the Broad Arrow was also applied to Civil Defence & even some GPO (General Post Office) equipment so, with no other indications, it is good to hear (for my collecting preferences at least) there is a strong likelihood it is from the Armed Forces

As suggested in the previous paragraph, the brass plate on mine has unfortunately not been marked. However, the whole collection always had the feel of an ex-serviceman's hoard of "buckshee" (probably more of an Army term!) tools - if I had to guess, perhaps an electrician (& part-time cobbler ) - with the HM Ships Golden Virginia tobacco tins providing further pointers to his being a Navy man:

With things like the 'lugs' to lock the trays together, I agree with your comments on the design & construction but, interestingly, mine does not feature the 'lid clips' & there does not appear to be any sign they were ever present (the interior finish is in better condition than the exterior). I wonder if they were a later improvement or, conversely, deleted as an economy measure?

?

WOW! now that is a collection.

Now you mention it I have checked, I have one with and two without the lugs on the lid

?

Interesting thread ,
    All I can offer is 1946 Sunshine Harvester made Wire Cutters - Nice
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1448399

Chucking in a couple of '43 Sunshine's

Last edited by reneblacky; 10-09-2020 at 06:34 AM. Reason: duplicate

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Interesting thread ,
    All I can offer is 1946 Sunshine Harvester made Wire Cutters - Nice
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1448399
    Sure it's not '43 Mate?

?

I was about to ask the same question.

Here are my Harrington 1917 cutters in a WWII carrier.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast