Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hand Tools -Broad Arrow marked

Article about: Over the years searching through swap meetings (auto jumbles) and the odd garage sale (yard sale) I have turned up a few tools marked with the broad arrow and a year showing that they were o

A ratchet screwdriver 1943 dated by Jubb.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hand Tools -Broad Arrow marked   Hand Tools -Broad Arrow marked  

A selection of Hand Vice. One by Thewlis and co, One by Jenbro, One by C.H(Not sure who they are) and one unmarked.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hand Tools -Broad Arrow marked  

Tools Self cutting BSF set No.1. I must get around to filling this up, I have many of the taps and die for it.

It is a heavy duty box with wire rolled edges. I had to remove a layer of paint with acetone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hand Tools -Broad Arrow marked   Hand Tools -Broad Arrow marked  

A pair of 1916 dated 8" round nose pliers by J.Berry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hand Tools -Broad Arrow marked  

9" Hacksaw by Footprint, I think its WW1 but not 100% sure.

Sorry for the late reply (Happy New Year everyone!) but I've just dug out & photographed these hand tools (which I had stored with my small arms ancillaries, since they could all be for armourer use), of various eras, that I also have:

- Armourer's bore / chamber inspection tool by Francis Gilbert of Birmingham (I think this is a WW1 example from Gilbert contract dates & the style - no 'handle').
    - Set of 1963 feeler gauges by A J Jubb Ltd of Sheffield.
    - Brass drift - undated but NSN stamped.

I have the remains of a 1944 brass drift

Thanks to BrodieBartfast's rust removal advice, I've discovered that even more of my tools (from the 'Naval' box collection shown above), than I had previously realised, are Broad Arrow marked

Within a real 'mixed bag' of old box spanners, there was a small selection of WD items:

Manufacturers are Apollo (1948), HW&S Ltd (1952), King Dick (very feint) & "KD" (no date - alternative King Dick marking?).

The larger, rustiest part shown is not marked & I didn't bother treating it due to that, plus some damage... but it offers a bit of a 'before & after' comparison for soaking such things in a strong tea solution for a little over 24hrs

Edit: I didn't actually use a "whole box" of tea bags as suggested - more like 6-8 in something under 2l of warm water.

?

A lot of King Dick were sold in Australia too. Here is an add from 1951.

?

Not a tool as such, but related. I have this Desmo curved mirror marked W^D. The paint seems to be original as far as I can tell, but an unusual claret-brown colour with a matt finish. Anyone recognise the colour? Motorbike maybe?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast