Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with mystery unit marking on these British binoculars

Article about: I picked up this pair of binoculars earlier this week. I wonder if anyone can help me identify the strange stencilled markings which I assume are for a unit. Both the case and the Binos are

Default Help needed with mystery unit marking on these British binoculars

I picked up this pair of binoculars earlier this week. I wonder if anyone can help me identify the strange stencilled markings which I assume are for a unit.

Both the case and the Binos are marked with grey paint ME509, with the date SEP 1943 on the case. The case is dated 1928 and has a number of reissue stamps on it including one which looks to read A.A.REP 12-38.
    I’d be keen to hear from anyone who could shed some light on these markings.
    Thank you
    RobHelp needed with mystery unit marking on these British binocularsHelp needed with mystery unit marking on these British binocularsHelp needed with mystery unit marking on these British binocularsHelp needed with mystery unit marking on these British binoculars[ATTACH=CONFIG]1435329
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with mystery unit marking on these British binoculars   Help needed with mystery unit marking on these British binoculars  

Help needed with mystery unit marking on these British binoculars  

Could be when they have been repaired and reissued ?

I can't help with the stencilling, but the arrow over a capital I denotes Indian Army issue.

That's good to know with the Indian Army. Just thinking about abbreviations of ME in British military, could it be Middle East, or Military Engineer, or Mechanical Excavating? Just spit-balling ideas.

Thanks for your replies and information chaps

?

Thats a fantastic item,
    Over stamped and re issued to the max.
    Love it.
    Cheers Rick

Intriguing.

Clearly the binos and case did not originally belong together but the ME-509 on both suggests that they did "live together" at some point. Possibly new binos were issued and for some reason were paired with a much older case. Not altogether unheard of in the military where a new item comes with a new case that is deemed inferior to the older one which is simply "preferred" by the user. This makes me inclined to believe that the ME-509 is a possession mark of some sort, likely but not certainly a unit/dept because of the fairly competent way it is applied. No idea what it means though, sorry!

Bizarrely however, there was a German prototype fighter ME 509 that was cancelled in development!

Obviously no connection here but that might start a few fantasies

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-01-2020 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."