Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help With Ordinance Shell Casing

Article about: Hello everyone, Not sure this is in the right category, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I recently picked up a 90 mm M19 shell casing and am hoping someone can provide me with some inform

?

Default Help With Ordinance Shell Casing

Hello everyone,

Not sure this is in the right category, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I recently picked up a 90 mm M19 shell casing and am hoping someone can provide me with some information. Is it possible to determine if this shell was tank ordinance or AA based on the 1945 date? I have read where late-war shells of this caliber stand a good chance for being for tanks whereas early ones for antiaircraft. Also, I am curious about the finish .....not sure if its been repainted (paint wash) to look like brass by a post-war owner or period painted? The slot cut into the base seems unusual. Has anyone seen this before. My first thought is that it was done during deactivation, possibly at an arsenal. Does that see plausible? I did notice on the bottom an "FA". does that stand for the Frankford Arsenal in Philadelphia? Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help With Ordinance Shell Casing   Help With Ordinance Shell Casing  

Help With Ordinance Shell Casing   Help With Ordinance Shell Casing  

Attached Images Attached Images Help With Ordinance Shell Casing 

ILH
    ?

Hi, can't help with the tank/AA question, but I can answer the rest..... It was a trench art lamp; its been polished and lacquered, and the slot is for the power cable. Judging by the tarnish where the laquer has failed the conversion was done a long time ago so the electrical components would be unsafe by today's standards.... Easy enough to fit new parts.