Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Indian-Made Jackknife

Article about: Hello folks. This piece was the result of an unexpected twist in my trip yesterday. After checking in and going through a safety briefing, I was told that my flight would be delayed. Nonchal

Default Indian-Made Jackknife

Hello folks.

This piece was the result of an unexpected twist in my trip yesterday. After checking in and going through a safety briefing, I was told that my flight would be delayed. Nonchalantly, one of the staff said 'oh, by the way, there's an antique shop over there.' So of course I strolled over to have a look. I immediately noticed a few pieces of WWII militaria in a display cabinet by the door. I didn't have much money on me, but the gentleman who runs the shop sold this piece to me for the princely sum of £12. He even threw in a spent blank .303 casing for free.

I've been after one of these for a while, as they were an essential part of any British soldier's kit and remain useful to this day. I guessed that it was an Indian-made piece, based on the hand-carved checkering on the grip panels and the overall rough look of the piece. It's also my understanding that British-made examples are marked 'Sheffield', whereas this one is marked 'F. & Co'. There are some odd markings on this one, including a broad arrow with a few letters and numbers underneath it. Hard to make out, but looks like 'PI 13'.

It's dated 1945, and has clearly been well-used. The various tools are difficult to open and close. I was thinking of giving it a light spray with some WD40 to loosen it up, but I might just leave it as it is. It's not like I'm going to be opening and closing it very frequently.

Indian-Made JackknifeIndian-Made JackknifeIndian-Made JackknifeIndian-Made Jackknife

A nice little piece that I wasn't expecting to come home with, and a nice memento of my experience.

Regards, B.B.

You know BB I rather suspect it is older than WW2, and could be WW1. I do have one myself with the horn grips with hand scored checkering. This is common with WW1 Army knives. The design was revised in 1913, could that explain the "PI 13" mark? Not sure of the significance of 45, but I don't think it is a date. Also the copper ring loop was mostly pre WW2.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    You know BB I rather suspect it is older than WW2, and could be WW1. I do have one myself with the horn grips with hand scored checkering. This is common with WW1 Army knives. The design was revised in 1913, could that explain the "PI 13" mark? Not sure of the significance of 45, but I don't think it is a date. Also the copper ring loop was mostly pre WW2.
    Interesting! I did have my suspicions that it was older than WWII, as the wear and patina is almost identical to a late Victorian Kukri knife I've got. Either way, I think it's safe to say that I did alright for just £12!

B.B.

A great find!
    I would suggest '45 is the date. Although there were slight varieties; I have never seen this style of clasp knife with a date prior to 1939, which is, I believe, when they changed the 1905 model to the design we see here. The newer design being a smaller knife with a more practical can opener. The copper shackle on a '45 dated knife is uncommon for a British made knife but not so much on an Indian made knife. So I think you may be correct in it's origin. Additionally, perhaps due to difference in the materials or craftsmanship, it would seem that the Indian made knives age worse than British or Canadian examples, perhaps explaining the heavy patina.

Here is an image of the '05 and '39 models side by side:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Indian-Made Jackknife  

I appreciate the additional information. It was very much a spur of the moment purchase, but I don't regret it at all. I know Indian-made knives tend to be less desirable to a lot of collectors, but to me it's every bit as interesting as any British-made piece. It would still be perfectly suitable for its intended purpose today!

I found this example on one of the dealer sites I frequent. Appears virtually identical to mine, the only difference being the date of 1940.

Indian-Made Jackknife

B.B.

I agree. I once had a fair bit of WWII Indian made kit. Sold it for very little money as I then thought it 'uninteresting'. This is certainly one of my biggest sale regrets so far in this hobby.

Apart from a couple of relic helmets, I have yet to sell anything out of my collection. I'm sure whatever I choose to sell in the end, I'll regret it ever after.

With the W&P show just a couple of days away, I'm weighing up some possible purchases. D&B has an all-matching, 1944-dated SMLE for sale. It hasn't sold yet. Why? Because it's an example made by Ishapore. Indian troops made up the most numerous volunteer force that served under the British during the war, and they fought bravely and fearlessly throughout. Some collectors see that SMLE as less desirable, but I see it as a piece that's as historically rich as any British-made rifle. I may very well pick it up!

B.B.

Nice knife and certainly Indian. This is my example: Indian Jack Knife | Tales from the Supply Depot

The heavy black patina these knives seem to accumulate is actually quite a good look for them. It shows that they've seen good honest use.

B.B.