Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting example of recycling

Article about: Found this what I think is pretty unique British army water bottle converted into an anti freeze can, has a bracket on the back to attach inside a car or something and can just about make ou

Default Interesting example of recycling

Found this what I think is pretty unique British army water bottle converted into an anti freeze can, has a bracket on the back to attach inside a car or something and can just about make out Speedwells anti freeze on the front. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Also feel free to show pics of your own examples of recycling with military equipment, would be interested to see it. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting example of recycling   Interesting example of recycling  

Interesting example of recycling  

Default Re: Interesting example of recycling

what a very weird think i wonder if it works

tom

?

I think recycling of war surplus was quite a common thing after WWII, the reason is the sheer over production by the allied powers of everything from Webbing to Willys Jeeps. I used to restore antique furniture and I’ll never forget a late Victorian love seat we restored when we remove all the old upholstery we found that the back and sides had been webbed using War surplus, so I asked the guy I used to work with if this had come from the States, and he replied “Yes its been re-imported, how did you now that” and I answered “Because the frame’s been webbed up using old Surplus .30 Call browning ammo belts, LOL”,

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Haha, were any of the belts complete or had they been cut up to fit the purpose?

?

I'm sorry to say they were all very short cut sections of belt, all brand new but no good to as a collectable, I even found the start of the belt (minus its metal tab) with makers name and date etc. From memory the webbing was the bluish mauve shade as used for some webbing items where the colour of the webbing was of secondary importance to its function, I also had a US gasmask bag (kidney shaped model) where all the internal strapping were made in this shade. Over the years I’ve seen green and white belts but the ones made of mauve coloured webbing one don't appear that often.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

I love stuff like this! To me, it's a perfect example of how people were trying to get back to "normal" life after years of total war.

I know they made tons of German helmets into colanders. I'd love to own one!