Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lanterns

Article about: One of my (too many) interests is antique hurricane lanterns. I had a stroke of luck recently when I got a call from the local charity shop letting me know that two English lanterns had just

?

Here is mine from a previous thread...

Quote by karkee View Post
    Hey guys,

I picked up this Veritas Pax paraffin oil hurricane lamp a few years ago, but I'm not really sure what time frame it was manufactured in and was hoping someone might know. It sat in an antique shop North of Seattle for years and was was too expensive for me, but one day I made an offer and the guy accepted. I thought it was neat that the original paper label remained intact and that the glass guard featured an elephant.

Attachment 759296

Attachment 759297

Attachment 759298

Attachment 759299

Attachment 759300

?

This too...

Quote by karkee View Post
    I guess this one is similar in style...

Attachment 759308

"Palestine disturbances during summer 1936. Jaffa. Group of Royal Engineers engaged in dynamiting"
    Can anybody date this British hurricane lamp?

?

Awesome Veritas you have there Karkee! Looks unused too? I tried Google images but it was only your photos of this lantern that came up, that would make it RARE in my book. I am guessing 1900 to 1930's by the style.

Cheers,
    Oz.

?

Here's the only Lantern that I have. I picked it up a few years back. It's a Little Giant, by Dietz of NY, USA. It looks like it holds enough fuel to burn 70 hours. I don't see a date on it anywhere, but I'm pretty sure it's WW2 era. It does have US markings, and a medical emblem. It looks like it has seen some action, it's still has the original dirt on it. I've never tried to clean it. I just thought I'd add it to the thread. Thanks for looking....LanternsLanternsLanternsLanternsLanternsLanternsLanterns

Great thread Gents
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Great to see a U.S. lantern Rob! It looks to have a galvanized finish maybe? Which probably supports military use as most would probably have had a bright tin plated finish.
    I have three (non military) Dietz in my collection.

Oz.

?

My latest acquisition, a 1930's Feuerhand made specially for the Western Australian Government. I cleaned the rust off, seems to have come up nicely. Vendor says it was owned by his grandfather who served in the RAAF until 1946 when he started a farm in W.A. Nice that the Feuerhand globe was never broken and that it seems to have had very little use.

Lanterns

Lanterns

Oz.

?

Not really into railway collectables but I could not resist this British military signal lamp. The paint obscures the manufacturer but it reads something like C... Bros Lamps Ltd. Birmingham. Pictured next to my Chalwyn Tropic which is almost the same colour and age.

Oz.

Lanterns

Lanterns

Lanterns

?

In British Army use these Lamps were also used as 'Traffic Control' Lamps positioned by Military Police to direct traffic. There was a thread on them on the Living History Forum some years ago. I post a few pictures of my own.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lanterns   Lanterns  

Lanterns  

?

Verrry nice!
    Is the arrow cover a clip-on or are there fittings to the lamp itself?
    I see the same "J A" type of catalogue numbers as on my two.

Oz.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast