Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

M-1938 Lensatic Compass - US Army Corp of Engineers - Superior Magneto Corp

Article about: This was part of a vet lot I picked up a few months ago. I kept a few items, and sold or gave away the rest. Not really my area, but I found it interesting so I decided to keep it. It's been

MAP
    ?

Default M-1938 Lensatic Compass - US Army Corp of Engineers - Superior Magneto Corp

This was part of a vet lot I picked up a few months ago. I kept a few items, and sold or gave away the rest.

Not really my area, but I found it interesting so I decided to keep it. It's been sitting on my table for the last few months so decided to take it out, do some research and photograph it.

A common and not high value item but a really nice condition M-1938 Lensatic Compass made by Superior Magneto Corp complete with mildew resistant pouch. Superior was located in Long Island City. Just a few miles from where I live! The pouches apparently were never marked.

A request in 1938 by the US Army to develop an inexpensive, commercial-type compass to replace the bulky and expensive marching compass resulted in this design. They were rolled out around 1940 and manufactured until the M-1950 variant replaced it.
    During the war, these compasses were manufactured by Superior Magneto Corp. (Long Island City, NY) and W. & L.E. Gurley (Troy, N.Y) with Superior being the much more common type. In 1944, these were apparently improved upon with the inclusion of an induction dampening system that began being rolled out in May of 1945. These are identifiable due to the white bowl and face vs the black that this example has.

Some examples are dated (above "Corps of Engineers") and some are not like this example. The few Dated examples I have seen all have dates from 1944 to 1945. I have ZERO doubts about this being war time produced as this was (if some of you remember) all packed away in German Ammo Crates and shipped back to the US and sat relatively untouched in the crates for 70 years.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice!
    Very informative and good job researching!

Very nice and something that's missing from my US collection

MAP
    ?

Quote by Ethan View Post
    Nice!
    Very informative and good job researching!
    Thanks Ethan

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Very nice and something that's missing from my US collection

???? Wow. I have some US kit that you don't? I thought you had at least two of these LoL

Glad you liked it!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yep closest I have is the wrist one!

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Yep closest I have is the wrist one!
    Nice! When I researched mine, I think I read that the wrist examples were developed after this type as they were in need of the development of an induction dampening system ....but I may be confused...

Very nice set Map with great information to boot! Thank you. Now I will have to dig mine out to compare the notes you provided.
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Very nice set Map with great information to boot! Thank you. Now I will have to dig mine out to compare the notes you provided.
    John
    Thanks John. See if yours has a date!

Ok I'm intruding, sorry, not a comparison really but had to show the wristy - Superior Magneto Corp LI City N.Y.- Jan '45

MAP
    ?

Intrude away. Very nice example. And from Superior as well! Sadly I do not think the company is in business anymore, unless they changed names.....

Want to see John's as well especially if it has a date!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast