Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag

Article about: I picked up this nice gas mesk set yesterday at an antique / thrift shop. Apparently these were issued to officers and other personnel who needed to be able to speak and be heard while weari

?

Default M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag

I picked up this nice gas mesk set yesterday at an antique / thrift shop. Apparently these were issued to officers and other personnel who needed to be able to speak and be heard while wearing the mask. The red cross looks like it was added on afterwards and actually looks like it was done by marker. the dealer insisted it was original as he got it from an elderly vet who served as a medic. Either way the price was right and I couldn't pass on it. All comments welcome
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag   M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag  

M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag   M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag  

M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag   M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag  

M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag  

Default Re: M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag

I'm not too sure about the sellers story about this masks history, as this isnt actually one of the masks that are issued to be used in combat. If you have noticed that the parts seem to be a bit mixed and matched, i.e the filter cannister is from a lightweight service mask and the components for the exhale valve/voice diapragm assemble are different colours. The reason behind this is that the mask has been "reconditioned" for training purposes only and not for actual use, it ended up being used for this purpose as it was either returned after being damaged in combat or not deemed suitable for actual use due to a flaw in the production. This also explains why "ARMY SERVICE GAS MASK" has been printed over on the carrier, usually another stamp would have been added saying "reconditioned for training" but obviously not in this case. Hopefully this is of help to you, and great looking mask

Thanks

Danny

?

Default Re: M3A1 Diaphragm Gas Mask & Bag

Hello Danny, that would make sense. I was wondering why the "ARMY SERVICE GAS MASK" was printed over. The only picture I have from my reference book does not show the cannister so I didn't notice the variation. I didn't pay much for it so I'm still pleased with the purchase. thanks, Al.