Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Models of British brace attachments

Article about: Hello! Im looking for more information about the models and varations of brace attachments used by the British during WW2. Ive been looking for a pair and was recently sendt this offer (see

Default Models of British brace attachments

Hello!

Im looking for more information about the models and varations of brace attachments used by the British during WW2. Ive been looking for a pair and was recently sendt this offer (see image below) of various models of brace attachments. My question is, when and where were the two main models used, and what is the varation with an extra strap below in the top-left? Is one of these more commonly seen during early war?

And as a thanks for reading, here is my British WW2 display to make it worth your time

Thanks
    Eskil

CBH
    ?

These where used when not wearing ammo pouches, so officers, tankers etc.
    Welcome to the forum.

Lightbulb

I'm glad that these have appeared on the Forum. I see lots of them at UK militaria fairs and often wonder what their use was ; they don't seem to feature much in books about British military kit.

?

I’m reasonably sure this is covered in Martin Brayley’s book on British web equipment (Europa), though I cannot check at present, as most of my books are at the opposite end of the country.

Thumbs up

Thanks for that - I'll be on the lookout for a copy. I only have his 'WW2 Tommy' Crowood title which contains less detail.

?

You’re welcome.. The man is a writing machine! Every time I see him, he’s writing something else!
    I’m preparing for a house move at the moment (unlike my tardy solicitor), and like a fool, I’ve packed off almost all of my reference books! Really didn’t think it through..

CBH
    ?

Here’s a photo from a Canadian book "The Canadian Soldier" by Jean Bouchery.
    Very informative book, but I believe it might be out of print, but I’m not sure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Models of British brace attachments  

Thank you for a very informative image! Would you happen to know why one of them have an extra webbing piece at the bottom?

CBH
    ?

I’m not really sure, but I’d expect it was for an extra attachment point, maybe to secure a holster or something similar.

Lightbulb

Quote by CBH View Post
    Here’s a photo from a Canadian book "The Canadian Soldier" by Jean Bouchery.
    Very informative book, but I believe it might be out of print, but I’m not sure.
    Thanks Chris - I'd forgotten that I have Bouchery's very similar book, 'The British Soldier From D-Day To VE Day' which features a very similar photo and description. It was published 1998 by 'Histoire et Collections' in Paris so may be a little difficult to find now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast