Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,

Article about: my grandad gave me these about 50 year's ago, with a german dagger, just wondering, where they issued to anyone in particular, they are stamped, " military stereo 6 x 30, bausch & l

Default my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,

my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,my grandad gave me these about 50 year's ago, with a german dagger, just wondering, where they issued to anyone in particular, they are stamped, " military stereo 6 x 30, bausch & lomb optical co, rochester NY USA," the case is bakaelite,

Default Re: would like information on this dagger, thanks,

They are a basic design created in 1917 at the direction of the US Department of War Director of Munitions. There was no military designation for them in WWI, but in WWII they were designated Binoculars, M3. Bausch & Lomb were the primary contractors in both wars, but the type was manufactured by several companies. They were sold to the British in both wars. The basic source of information on these binoculars is, America's Munitions, 1917-18: Report of Benedict Crowell, Washington: GPO, 1919., pp.577-79. Current value is somewhere around $150 depending on condition and markings. But in the end, it comes down to what the buyer will pay. Dwight

Default Re: would like information on this dagger, thanks,

dwight,,
    thanks for all that information on the bino's,

Default Re: my grandad's bino's, any information on them appreciated, thank's,

These US binos were an almost exact copy of the British Army's own standard issue binoculars (Binoculars, Prismatic, No 2), which well pre-date 1917. I am not sure whether the British catalogued them as No 2s or gave them their own name, though.

Rob

I have copied Dwight's reply to this new thread from the earlier one in the dagger forum.

As we discussed there the case is WW2 German.

Cheers, Ade
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    These US binos were an almost exact copy of the British Army's own standard issue binoculars (Binoculars, Prismatic, No 2), which well pre-date 1917. I am not sure whether the British catalogued them as No 2s or gave them their own name, though.

Rob
    so are these pre-ww1 or ww1 or ww2, thanks,

Quote by GARAGE HERMIT View Post
    so are these pre-ww1 or ww1 or ww2, thanks,
    I would say WW1 British Army issue (judging by the style of the 'Broad Arrows'), US-made binoculars. Whether they pre-date the adoption by the US Army or not I couldn't say for sure.

I'm not disagreeing with drmessimer, he is correct, I was just elaborating on the history of this design

Rob

I would agree with Rob's take on them.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    I would say WW1 British Army issue (judging by the style of the 'Broad Arrows'), US-made binoculars. Whether they pre-date the adoption by the US Army or not I couldn't say for sure.

I'm not disagreeing with drmessimer, he is correct, I was just elaborating on the history of this design

Rob
    thanks for that rob, did'nt think thery were that old, as the condition is very good, probably with them being in the case it's protected them,