Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

The "Mystery" Can

Article about: Hello everyone, Found this unmarked, WWII-era fuel can in a junk shop the other day. The price was right so I bought it. I know very little about these in general, and the German-style can w

?

Default The "Mystery" Can

Hello everyone,

Found this unmarked, WWII-era fuel can in a junk shop the other day. The price was right so I bought it. I know very little about these in general, and the German-style can with no markings and American-like embossing on the sides was perplexing. After a little online research I realized that it's an item that has stirred a lot of debate and speculation about its place of manufacture, and raises a question that may never be answered. That's why it is often referred to as the "Mystery" can. Apparently, unmarked cans like my example show up (in period photographs) in the Pacific with U.S. Marines and in the E.T.O. with the British. Not posting to necessarily reopen the debate, just to show my example.

My can had (still has) quite a bit of rust and grime. Normally, I leave such things "as is" but felt like I needed to protect it from further rust damage. I've included a photo of before and after a light cleaning with WD40. The distinctive dark yellow/mustard yellow color popped out after the oiling. It's not evident in the photos but its been light etched with the words, "Kerosene Oil" in the middle of the can at the X. This identifier may be wartime or post-war, just don't know. The paint doesn't appear to be an overpaint but original to the can, which makes me wonder if the can (possibly as a very early version), could have been used in North Africa by the British or perhaps even the Germans? Of course, this leads back to the many scenarios, so I'll stop. Thanks for taking a look and giving any insight or comments that you might have.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The "Mystery" Can   The "Mystery" Can  

The "Mystery" Can   The "Mystery" Can  

The "Mystery" Can   The "Mystery" Can  

The "Mystery" Can  

MAP
    ?

It's these mysteries that make the hobby interesting. Nice job cleaning it up!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks MAP. I'm happy with how it turned out. Just running out of room to put items like this.

Tom