Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery ‘Dog Tags’

Article about: Good day to all, I have had these discs for many, many years and have never been able to identify either from where they originate or from what era... Clearly (presumably!) from a canine uni

?

Default Mystery ‘Dog Tags’

Good day to all,
    I have had these discs for many, many years and have never been able to identify either from where they originate or from what era...
    Clearly (presumably!) from a canine unit, it would be great to be able to trace the history of the ‘soldier’ that once wore them.
    I have written to various military and police services, in the UK and US, but (from everyone, I believe), received no reply...
    Just wondered if anyone here had any ideas about them.
    My thanks in advance and very best wishes,
    Bob

PS to Walkwolf: not really sure if this is the appropriate place to post this. Please move if necessary, many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery ‘Dog Tags’  

?

I wonder if lost dogs homes used something similar?

Oz.

?

Interesting thought, Oz! In which case I would have no hope.
    Then again, why would they be worn as a pair?
    Thanks for the reply,
    Bob

?

One for the pooch and one for the peg board in the office to show which kennels are occupied? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Oz.

?

Yep, makes sense.
    You rotter! There was I, thinking of parachute drops into Italy, Dicken Medals and tasty biscuits...

?

Another thought: Fox hound pack. Some of these were quite large and they would not have bothered naming them I suppose, but they still needed to identify them for pedigree and veterinary purposes.

Oz.

?

Aaw, there you go again!
    Will you quit with the sensible suggestions?!
    I really want this to be a military dog, Oz! You’re not helping.

I have to admit the fox pack thing has legs though... lots of them... and the use of the impersonal word ‘hound’ conveys the contempt those people have for any other life forms but their own.

Please stop being logical... In the words of another Fox,
    ‘I want to believe’!
    All the best mate,
    Bob