Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.

Article about: Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could possible help with the coding found within the P42 British Bergen rucksack (rubber w.proof lining). The date looks like 1943. Along with LONDON or LON

Default P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone could possible help with the coding found within the P42 British Bergen rucksack (rubber w.proof lining).

The date looks like 1943. Along with LONDON or LONDOW? Could the other numerical digits relate to a specific unit? Just a thought...

I read it as 5195 or possible CA5195. There are also further coding just above this. Sadly unable to read.

All the best. Gillan.

P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.   P42 British Army 'Bergen' rucksack 1943.  

ILH
    ?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings; the markings have been faked:

1)The last digit of the date is an upside down "2", this is simply wrong.
    2)stores codes are rare before 1944 and would be AA5195 .....if you look closely under the "London" you can see "CN" = Catalogue Number these started around 1950 and there is room for the additional digits in a CN number (last four would be the same as the ww2 number, as it still was when changed later to NSN numbers e.g. 8465-99-???-5195).
    3) green Bergens with grey leather bits and wayerproof linings are post war (I have one made in 1954 with an RAF cargo label dated 1985, they went out of service in the late 1980s).
    Having said that it is genuine British cold war issue and in good condition, so it still has some value.

I'd be tempted to try washing it off, the fakers research was clearly laking so they may not have used waterproof ink.

ILH
    ?

And the numbers in the date are misaligned at the top and bottom, spacing looks iffy too.

I have shown mine on the forum Green and dated 1945.

I would agree about the stamps on yours.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by ILH View Post
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings; the markings have been faked:

1)The last digit of the date is an upside down "2", this is simply wrong.
    2)stores codes are rare before 1944 and would be AA5195 .....if you look closely under the "London" you can see "CN" = Catalogue Number these started around 1950 and there is room for the additional digits in a CN number (last four would be the same as the ww2 number, as it still was when changed later to NSN numbers e.g. 8465-99-???-5195).
    3) green Bergens with grey leather bits and wayerproof linings are post war (I have one made in 1954 with an RAF cargo label dated 1985, they went out of service in the late 1980s).
    Having said that it is genuine British cold war issue and in good condition, so it still has some value.

I'd be tempted to try washing it off, the fakers research was clearly laking so they may not have used waterproof ink.
    Thanks folks!

I have bought and sold my fair share of p42 rucksacks, from the khaki to the olive - both lined and unlined. So this has come as quite the surprise.

I must admit. Each pack I've aquired has had noticeable differences in design from one maker to the next. From linings, webbing and construction. Suggesting there may be a 'grey' area as to what is or is not a ww2 issued item.

This particular item did stand out somewhat with regards to the numerical coding. Something did look a bit off - hence raising the Q.

I've had a little time to inspect in natural light and I'm still a little unsure on the date marking. It looks like a 3 that has been smudged, rather than an upside down 2. We'll have to let that one simmer. ( yet to attempt to wipe away))

On the whole I'm glad we've been able to crack the code so to speak. So a big thanks for taking the time to share that information. I simply didn't put two and two together, what with the CN Catalogue Number in place.

While we are on the subject - I have another pack that has been with me for some time, although I'm yet to get down to unearthing the origin. The zip features the AM (Air Ministry) mark. Suggesting RAF issue. Certainly the first I've seen over the years.

I'll keep in touch.

All the best, Gillan