Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Questions about Pattern 37 web kit

Article about: I recently bought a Pattern 37 web belt to use to display a Pre-Victory Model S&W .38-200 revolver. I received the belt yesterday and it seems to be in very good condition. After looking

?

Default Questions about Pattern 37 web kit

I recently bought a Pattern 37 web belt to use to display a Pre-Victory Model S&W .38-200 revolver. I received the belt yesterday and it seems to be in very good condition. After looking at it I have a few questions and hope someone can help.

The belt came with an ammo case - was this type for pistol ammo?

On the inside of the belt, at the center, is what I assume is a rank/name. I'm not familiar with WWII British rank abbreviations. Would this be Captain L. Usher?

The belt also has a bayonet frog on it. If this was a belt worn by an officer, would he have carried a bayonet? Perhaps this was added later at some point by another wearer/owner? The end of the belt where the bayonet frog is hung was not hooked so I suspect this may have been a later addition although the coloration seems consistent.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice you can provide. I'm new to collecting British items so I am flying blind here.

Default Re: Questions about Pattern 37 web kit

Hi Mark, Captain is usually abrieviated as "Capt", but it may just be one of those things that this chap wrote it his way...

The ammo case is fine. The compass pouch is similar but is padded inside with a heavy felt.

An officer would not usually have carried a bayonet. But webbing often gets re-issued time and time again so a name can be misleading.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks, Ade! I've got a nice Pattern 37 holster on it's way to me in the mail and expect the revolver to arrive in tomorrow's or Monday's mail.

I assumed the bayo frog would be an addition if, in fact, this was an officer's belt.

What else might an officer have carried on he belt? You mentioned the compass case - the case on my belt is not padded - any other typical carry items?

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark, Officers did not carry much kit.

The only other items would be the X straps (suspenders) and brace adaptors and the Officers valice/pack.

Pattern 1937 Web Equipment

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questions about Pattern 37 web kit  

?

Thank you for the info, pic and link! Now I have some more items to track down!

OKW
    ?

Officers tended to wear what other ranks were wearing, uniform, weapon and webbing. This was to avoid standing out in the crowd and being picked off by a sniper. Badges of rank were dispensed with, those who needed to knew who was who. This applied to infantry officers. The further back you went the more uniform codes were kept.

?

Quote by OKW View Post
    Officers tended to wear what other ranks were wearing, uniform, weapon and webbing. This was to avoid standing out in the crowd and being picked off by a sniper. Badges of rank were dispensed with, those who needed to knew who was who. This applied to infantry officers. The further back you went the more uniform codes were kept.
    Thanks for the input!

ILH
    ?

according to Mike Chappell's 'British Infantry Equipment 1908-80' (good book, but not perfect): a full 'Set for Officers' should have:

1 belt.
    2 braces
    2 brace attachments
    1 pistol pouch (designed for .38in No. 2 pistol)
    1 pistol ammunition pouch
    1 binocular case
    1 compass pouch
    1 Water bottle
    1 officers haversack.

also Map case, but doesn't attach to webbing.

Compass pouch goes on brace attachment above bino case on right. Ammo pouch on brace attachment above pistol case on left (can also be dropped down- ammo pouch on belt, with pistol pouch below).

?

Thanks for the list - great info here for me. I was looking for a few things that I could display on just the belt with the holster and S&W M&P .38-200. I hadn't thought of suspending the holster under the ammo pouch. I will keep looking for a compass pouch - there's one over on eBay now but none of my other sources have any listed.

Again, thanks to all for the great info and advice. I hope to have the pistol either today or Monday and the holster should be in next week as well. I'll post some pics when they arrive.

Herman
    ?

Hi Mark,
    In your pictures the belt looks dated 194..X - above the Captain's name. I can't make it out from your post but would be great if WW2 dated?
    When dark outside, if you have a flourescent tube light at home (say in the shed or garage?) try holding it up underneath - switched on :-), sometimes this light helps to pick out markings better.
    If the pistol ammo pouch or bayo frog are dated, it may give some clue to the age of the belt?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast