Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rare WW1 Aussie entrenching tool?

Article about: Hi, I recently purchased this entrenching tool. From a bit of preliminary research, and from a makers stamp in readable condition, I found out that it is an Australian WW1 tool, made by Over

Default Rare WW1 Aussie entrenching tool?

Hi,
    I recently purchased this entrenching tool. From a bit of preliminary research, and from a makers stamp in readable condition, I found out that it is an Australian WW1 tool, made by Overall McCray Ltd, based in Sydney. The question I have is regarding the broad arrow mark. To the best of my knowledge, Australian broad arrows are generally a D either side of the arrow, for Department (of) Defence. This is a D over a line, on top of the arrow. In any case, I am led to believe that Australian broad arrows are pretty rare. Would someone be able to help identify this, please? See pics for reference.

Rare WW1 Aussie entrenching tool? Rare WW1 Aussie entrenching tool?

?

Nice Aussie WW2 E.T. by Overall McCray Pty Ltd of Pyrmont Sydney. The company ceased to exist (by that name at least) in the 1960's.
    The mark is the inspectors/acceptance mark, typically a letter or number over the broad Arrow. Fairly small and hand stamped in an easily accessible position. I dont usually come across the D^D mark on these.
    Now you need the E.T. tool carrier bag that fits to the webbing.

?

And a warning; they can become addictive!

Hi Ubique,

Many thanks for your reply, that really helps!
    The seller also stated it to be WW2, however on the manufacturers stamp it says 1917, please see pic below. Sorry, it's pretty dirty, I've cleaned it up but I haven't got any pictures of it since then, but you can make out the date. Is that a date of manufacture, or just a manufacturers stamp?

Definitely need to get the carrier!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare WW1 Aussie entrenching tool?  

Wow I can see! That's amazing, freaking love it! You got the bayonet for the one on the bottom right?
    I notice the design on the metal on the handles of those is different on mine, mine doesn't have the U shaped cut-outs. Its just one piece of metal wrapped round, secured with a brass weld and 2 rivets/nails into the wood through the metal. Guess that's just because its a different manufacturer.

Entrenching Tool & Helve, 1908 pattern: British Army | Imperial War Museums mine looks identical to this, McCray used the British design of a single cast head so this must be it? And this is dated 1908...

?

My apologies, it is of course WWI. Great find!
    Yes, there are several little manufacturers differences like the collar and the one or two piece head.
    Yes, I have the bayonet too.

Last edited by reneblacky; 11-18-2020 at 07:57 AM.

Thank you for your help Ubique, appreciated.

Thank you for that René, that's very interesting. And in excellent condition too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast