Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Revolver lanyard identification help

Article about: . I recently acquired this lanyard as part of a job lot. I suspect that it is a WW2 British pistol lanyard but would appreciate confirmation and any help in identifying more specifically as

Default Revolver lanyard identification help

Revolver lanyard identification help I recently acquired this lanyard as part of a job lot. I suspect that it is a WW2 British pistol lanyard but would appreciate confirmation and any help in identifying more specifically as with its rounded section, lack of turk's heads and presence of a spring clip at the end, it doesn't seem to match any lanyard, including those described as '37 pattern' and '58 pattern', that I have yet seen. It is about 38 1/2" long as shown and is of a fairly thick gauge cord. I acquired it as part of a job-lot of militaria dating from circa WW1 to 1950s so not a lot of dating help there. Many thanks, Anthony

Wish I could help with certainty? but this is how I know the UK lanyard.

I've had a similar question in my mind over dating of two lanyards I have. If you don't mind me adding my photo to the thread, we may get some definitive answer on dating these. Both mine are khaki, one is thicker cord with finer weave pattern. The other is narrower cord with coarser weave. But which is older?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I've had a similar question in my mind over dating of two lanyards I have. If you don't mind me adding my photo to the thread, we may get some definitive answer on dating these. Both mine are khaki, one is thicker cord with finer weave pattern. The other is narrower cord with coarser weave. But which is older?
    Nice shot of the lappy keyboard there Pete! I think I have your passwords now!!

Damn! I thought I had hidden that piece of paper.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Damn! I thought I had hidden that piece of paper.
    HHAA not there mate BLOOHHAA!

Lanyards of the type(s) shown by Anderson were issued to me alongside Browning Hi Powers & '58 Pattern holsters into the 90's:

I do not know for sure which Pattern they belong to however - perhaps none - but they always struck me as an older design; or maybe, noting different styles of knot, variations (either by manufacturer or age/mark) on the continued use of an old pattern!

I think they may even have been provided at Sandhurst to secure Prismatic Compasses to oneself so perhaps pistol lanyard is not the description... but they were definitely used that way until relatively recently. In fact I don't think there was really any replacement until the provision of a "Blackhawk" product as an 'Urgent Operational Requirement' or, ultimately, the kit that came out with the issue of Glocks as the service pistol!

PS The clip shown in the original post is almost certainly an individual addition. All those I was issued with came 'bare' & you had to loop the cord through the lanyard ring - if I'd been a better Boy Scout, I would know the knot!!!