Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Signals Satchel no. 2

Article about: Picked this one up yesterday and I was not sure what exactly it is, but following some research I am fairly certain that it is a version of the Satchel Signals No.2, made by Mills Equipment

Default Signals Satchel no. 2

Picked this one up yesterday and I was not sure what exactly it is, but following some research I am fairly certain that it is a version of the Satchel Signals No.2, made by Mills Equipment Company (MECo.), it is not dated but has an inspectors mark and number. It has a ZA-13347 stores code which is for signals equipment I think and I found one which had previously sold with all its contents.

Wireless Set 38, Satchel Signals No2 1942, Headphone (08/11/2012)...

Condition is a bit worn and stained but still solid and my Father possibly had one of these during his WWII service.

I tried looking on Karkee web, but they do not appear to cover these.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Signals Satchel no. 2   Signals Satchel no. 2  

Signals Satchel no. 2   Signals Satchel no. 2  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default Re: Signals Satchel no. 2

Nice pick up Jerry you do not see these come up for sale very often .

Regards Mark K

NCA
    ?

Nice find Jerry.Its alot wider than the more common 'Satchel Signals'.I reckon its a battery bag for one of the wireless sets..
    I used to have a link to all the ZA codes but i'm darned if i can find it!

Quote by NCA View Post
    Nice find Jerry.Its alot wider than the more common 'Satchel Signals'.I reckon its a battery bag for one of the wireless sets..
    I used to have a link to all the ZA codes but i'm darned if i can find it!
    That would make sense as it does not match exactly any of the versions I could find. If you can find the ZA code list link sometime that would probably clear up the issue of its exact function.
    Regards,

Jerry

NCA
    ?

Well I've just had look through 'Equipment of the ww2 Tommy' and there is picture in the of a bag almost exactly the same, different ZA code and there are straps on the back for attachment for 'L' straps ala small pack.Its for the WS38.It would have held spare battery and junction box and spare valves.
    Is it around the same size as a small pack?

Prehaps try finding the 'vocabulary of army ordnance stores' manuals?

It appears to be identical to the one in the link I posted with the same ZA code, except it is not marked on the reverse and is not dated, whilst that in the link is clearly marked on the reverse SATCHEL SIGNAL No.2. and is 1942 dated by the same maker. Size in inches are, 10 wide, 5 thick and 8 high.
    Attached Images Attached Images Signals Satchel no. 2  Signals Satchel no. 2 
    Regards,

Jerry

I found the other version of Signals Satchel no.2 this week. This version is virtually identical to the earlier one shown by JerryB except it has tabs to convert to a backpack.
    It is well used and the printing is too far gone on mine but I can make out;
    FINNIGANS Ltd.
    It should also say
    Z.A. 21321.
    and could be dated 1945 or 1945.
    The divider has been removed and the side a bottom buckles are steel which are a bit rusty.

Signals Satchel no. 2Signals Satchel no. 2Signals Satchel no. 2Signals Satchel no. 2Signals Satchel no. 2Signals Satchel no. 2

Here is a Polish Gentleman wearing one.
    Signals Satchel no. 2

And in side wearing mode
    Signals Satchel no. 2

A great thread is found on the Maple Leaf Up Forum about the WS No.38 and its gear.
    Wireless set N°38 MK2 - MLU FORUM

I have borrowed an image to show it in airborne configuration wearing 2 x Signals Satchels No.2.
    Signals Satchel no. 2

An interesting piece which shows that the divider could be removed to fit three batteries.