Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A strange style of US pistol belt - can anyone help me?

Article about: As I track down US webbing ( my latest "favourite" collectable ) I came across this oddball - and because it was just a few bucks, decided to grab it. First off was the buckle - no

Default A strange style of US pistol belt - can anyone help me?

As I track down US webbing ( my latest "favourite" collectable ) I came across this oddball - and because it was just a few bucks, decided to grab it.

First off was the buckle - nothing I've ever seen on a M36 type belt. And then there is the TWO rows of holes, not THREE, because it has TWO prongs on the adjuster hook, not ONE. It is similar to the LINCLOE system which has 2 rows but that belt was Nylon and the buckle was different.

Well, I initially dismissed it as a scout or rigger's or some aftermarket item but now it has arrived and I can inspect it there are some definite 'military ' features .....

1) The webbing is very heavy duty and the same weave as an 1942 dated OD#3 pistol belt I have and the colour is not the dark green you would expect to see in an aftermarket or post war unit.

2) it has the press snap for a ammo pouch? .. these were done away with later on and as they have no other use I can think of, I would not expect to see this outside the military?

3) There are some faint markings on the inside which may be a date - but I cant make them out .....

So fellas, any ideas you may have, I'd like to hear them.

A strange style of US pistol belt - can anyone help me? A strange style of US pistol belt - can anyone help me?
    A strange style of US pistol belt - can anyone help me? A strange style of US pistol belt - can anyone help me? A strange style of US pistol belt - can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance, Dan
    Last edited by Danmark; 07-07-2022 at 06:48 AM.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

No idea Dan. Interesting though!

I do like the buckle. Seems like it would be quite secure.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    No idea Dan. Interesting though!

I do like the buckle. Seems like it would be quite secure.
    Thanks mate, its actually TOO good as its a bit tricky to engage / disengage it.
    We may eventually get it identified, maybe not but I am intrigued ...

Oddball stuff may be rare - but that doesn't always mean it is collectable !!
    I get that - but I love a mystery, and if it only costs me the equivalent of a takeaway burger, then I'll grab any oddball just for fun!! ( and for forum content )

Well here I am answering my own question ... I found it - a 1950's French Army belt

A strange style of US pistol belt - can anyone help me?

And here ( for those interested, is a nice site on what they used ( a US influenced assembly )

French TAP Webbing (1950’s) | KommandoPost.com | KPS Militaria Collection

Mystery solved - onto the next one!!

French M1950/53 TAP belt, this is the 2nd version correct for late Indochina and Algeria. Certainly worth the price of a burger... maybe even that of a Happy Meal!

?

And the snap fitting ?

Quote by Dave H View Post
    And the snap fitting ?
    For a pistol ammo pouch, a copy of the US M1923 Pistol Ammo Pouch made in the typical coarse green French webbing.