Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are these Wool Felt Boots WW2 USAAF ?

Article about: Hello All, I ran across these and was wondering if anybody has seen or knows that these are WW2 Army Air Force issue? I have seen a pic in my copy of Combat Flying Clothing by C.G. Sweeting,

?

Default Are these Wool Felt Boots WW2 USAAF ?

Hello All,
    I ran across these and was wondering if anybody has seen or knows that these are WW2 Army Air Force issue?

I have seen a pic in my copy of Combat Flying Clothing by C.G. Sweeting, It does mention wool felt boots also had a composite sole. But in the photo in that book the pair being worn do not have the leather toe cap. Here is the photo from that book.

I also seen it mentioned that wool felt boots were given to US Postmen to be worn under there winter rubber water proof boots. But no picture of that type.
    Now here are the ones that are being called. WWII US Army Air Corps Wool Felt Flyers Flight Boots

I have never seen a pair of these other than the Sweeting book I just finished reading. So any and all thoughts about these would be appreciated.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hi Phil ,
    Very interesting , Ive never seen that type before for USAAF use.
    Have they got markings inside them ?
    Maybe boots for working inside an Ammunition Factory ?
    Ask Rene , he has a pair of Aussie Ammo factory slippers , just a thought.

?

Hello Rick,
    There are no markings on these , The only thing marked are the heels with the Biltrite logo.
    I did ask Rene', I sent him a pic of these and He also thought maybe munitions factory , but was not sure and also had never seen them. I would think that for munitions factory you wouldn't want to use leather soles, as those are prone to static buildup. But I'm not a munitions factory clothing expert

He also sent me a pic of some flight equipment with a pair of wool felt boot ,but those were boondocker ankle high boots, But those didn't have the leather toe cap.

If they were all felt and looked like the ones I have seen, I wouldn't be asking about these. It was the title of how they are being advertised that made me wonder if there might have been different maker/models of these.

Thanks for chiming in.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Maybe they are Post War Ten Pin Bowling Boots

?

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Maybe they are Post War Ten Pin Bowling Boots
    LMAO!!! I thought the looked like the boots they wear in the wrestling rinks on TV. Like André the Giant and Rowdy Ronnie Piper!!! I guess that shows ya how long its been since I watched that stuff

Thanks again Rick!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-26-2020 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelliing correction

Sorry Phil Mate!

?

No Problem Rene'.
    I appreciate you taking a look at them and giving me your thoughts about them.
    If they just said Felt Boots I wouldn't have given them a second look , But the "WW2 Army Air Corps Wool Felt Flyers Flight Boots" title got my attention.
    Like I mentioned to you, The A-6 boots are what I will eventually add to my flight gear..

Stay Safe!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-26-2020 at 09:36 PM.

?

I wonder if the leather was added to the boots to help keep them from being damaged . Gary

?

Gary,
    That would make sense to have the toe's reenforced, considering they were working in an aluminum tube and the majority of parts were made of metal except the wood floor planks..
    But with little evidents of them being worn, I'll just sit back and wait and see if something is found.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I thought I would share this here since this is where I started this question.
    I posted these boots on USMF and asked if these were as advertised "WW2 Army Air force fight boots"

I got a "Don't think So" reply and also got this pic posted. With this theory /thought.

"Here's another possibility, but an unproven theory at this point. The photo below shows crewmen from VP-135 suiting up for a flight in their PV-1 Ventura in Alaska in 1944. To me, the footwear on the center figure looks very similar to your boots. Note also that just under his M-455 fleece jacket, laying on the Marston mat (PSP) to the right, is his pair of M-380 winter flight boots. Might these felt boots be liners for the Navy's winter flight boots?"

Click To Enlarge

I did a 400% enlargement of the boot section but with that resolution I am not getting a clear shot. But you can see the toe cap on them.

Also with this answer came some advise. If these are indeed WW2 flight boots, That these are worn under the flight boots and would never be seen once I get my bomber crew display completed. So these would not be the first thing that I need to make my Dream display complete.
    So this is more of a learning experience and trivial in the scheme of my master plan.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast