Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

U.S Holster Help

Article about: Hi folks. I've got this holster but it has no markings on it that I can see. Can anyone date this for me based on the photo. Condition is very good. Whats a fair price to pay for this?

Default U.S Holster Help

Hi folks. I've got this holster but it has no markings on it that I can see. Can anyone date this for me based on the photo. Condition is very good. Whats a fair price to pay for this?U.S Holster HelpU.S Holster HelpU.S Holster Help

?

It is a commercially produced US M1912 holster for the Colt M1911 .45 pistol. Although the leg strap is broken the fact most of it is there adds to it as a good number of them are often missing. Arsenal produced holsters are more desirable but it appears to be a close copy and in fairly good condition, as to age circa WW1. Looks to have a name written on the inside and some letters just above the closing finial? It is hard to price commercially made examples, maybe $80-120.

thanks Hants

It's marked 'US' so its a service example, not purely commercial.

I would say it is a USGI holster. Specifically named M1912 mounted style. The maker and year should be stamped on the back up towards the swivel. Check again and I have seen some stamped pretty lightly. If no maker and date I would agree with commercially made. The US stamp on the front could be embossed by anyone as it is not an licensed marking.
    John

?

Just to confirm this is a commercially produced US Model 1912 holster not an arsenal made item. Commercially produced examples can be found with and without US embossed flap.
    A way of the telling this is commercial is that the stitch patterns are not the same as an arsenal holster and that embossed US is not an arsenal stamp, both these can be compared to a Rock Island Arsenal made holster.
    In addition as mentioned by Rescue190, those made by Rock Island Arsenal will be stamped so or with just R.I.A, either way they will also have the year and inspectors initials, these often wear through use but some faint markings can normally be seen.
    As mentioned, it is a close copy of an arsenal made holster. All in all a good commercially produced example and worth owning.