Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U.S soldier Bag

Article about: hello my yesterday coincidence shot my interest are are german militaria this is my first US soldier item what was the purpose of this bag?maybe someone met some similiar?

Default U.S soldier Bag

hello
    my yesterday coincidence shot
    my interest are are german militaria this is my first US soldier item
    what was the purpose of this bag?maybe someone met some similiar?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S soldier Bag   U.S soldier Bag  

U.S soldier Bag   U.S soldier Bag  

This is called the Duffel Bag. It was used to hold uniforms and clothing. These are commonly marked with the Soldier's name and serial number as a means of identifying the Soldier..

Nice to see a WW2 era duffel bag... and based on the date 1943, this is one of the earlier bags.

This type of bag was adopted in 1943. It has a shoulder strap and neck closure which can be padlocked. Unit markings were sometimes put on the duffel bags to help identify when unloading ships and forwarding equipment to the right units.

Through the years the Army duffel bag has changed from canvas material to a rayon material and now to a different design completely. When I was issued my 2 Army duffel bags in the 80's they were stenciled with my name and serial number (Social Security Number) and then when I arrived at my first unit the bottoms were painted and marked with the tactical markings of my unit. After leaving that unit and reporting to another unit the bottom of the duffel bag was painted over and new tactical markings and identification was added.

Smitty

thank You very much
    good to have some item from USA
    it was found in south of Poland
    maybe arrived with the invasion...

Here is the Soldier. He was from West Virginia..

Smitty

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 35275143 35275143
    NAME BUKRIM#STANLEY########## BUKRIM#STANLEY##########
    RESIDENCE: STATE 54 WEST VIRGINIA
    RESIDENCE: COUNTY 001 BARBOUR
    PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 5340 FT HAYES COLUMBUS OHIO
    DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 10 10
    DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 02 02
    DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 42 42
    GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private
    GRADE: CODE 8 Private
    BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION BI# Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
    BRANCH: CODE 00 Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
    FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #
    TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
    LONGEVITY ### ###
    SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life
    NATIVITY 23 NEW YORK
    YEAR OF BIRTH 17 17
    RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen
    EDUCATION 4 4 years of high school
    CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 721 Semiskilled miners, and mining-machine operators
    MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents
    COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 7 Selectees (Enlisted Men)
    CARD NUMBER # #
    BOX NUMBER 0916 0916
    FILM REEL NUMBER 3.338 3.338

thank You i've searched the web but didnt find anything
    interesting info

If this Soldier's records were not destroyed in the 1970's National Archives Fire, then it may be possible to obtain more information about him, his unit, where he served, what battles he fought in, ect.

Smitty

I may be able to assist you in researching this Soldier..

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    This is called the Duffel Bag. It was used to hold uniforms and clothing. These are commonly marked with the Soldier's name and serial number as a means of identifying the Soldier..

Nice to see a WW2 era duffel bag... and based on the date 1943, this is one of the earlier bags.

This type of bag was adopted in 1943. It has a shoulder strap and neck closure which can be padlocked. Unit markings were sometimes put on the duffel bags to help identify when unloading ships and forwarding equipment to the right units.

Through the years the Army duffel bag has changed from canvas material to a rayon material and now to a different design completely. When I was issued my 2 Army duffel bags in the 80's they were stenciled with my name and serial number (Social Security Number) and then when I arrived at my first unit the bottoms were painted and marked with the tactical markings of my unit. After leaving that unit and reporting to another unit the bottom of the duffel bag was painted over and new tactical markings and identification was added.

Smitty
    Hi Smitty

Great info , did the individual have to paint and mark their duffle bags?

Would great to see an image of your duffle bag!

Also thanks for getting the information regarding the individual.

Forum members should know, Smitty goes out of his way to help people track down relevant information concerning veterans and its very much appreciated.

Respect brother!

Phill

Phill,

Thank you for the kind words. I am humbled by them. In many cases the Soldier's did indeed have to mark their own equipment to include the duffel bag. There were stencil and ink sets provided and the Soldier's cut out the stencils and marked individual and unit equipment. I have a chart somewhere in the masses of my collection that show the proper location of marking clothing and uniforms..

As for my marked duffel bag, here are a few shots of my equipment and gear that I carried while stationed in Berlin, Germany with the 6th Battalion 502nd Infantry Regiment (Strike). You can see the bottom of my duffel bag is marked B co. 6/502 2nd Plt. 2. The 2 at the bottom indicated 2nd Squad of 2nd Platoon of B. Company 6/502nd Infantry..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S soldier Bag   U.S soldier Bag  

U.S soldier Bag

Stanley Bukrim.

Thanks Smitty

That was quick laying out all your kit-just for me!!!
    Seriously, good to see identification markings and how it is expressed.
    Smitty would you know or have come across various and odd ID markings for other US Army units in your time.
    I guess there are specific markings for Armour, Cav, Eng , Artillery etc.

Phill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast