Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

U.S WWII Service Lighter Help

Article about: I tried to translate the inscription on my war era lighter by bringing it to a Chinese take-out restaurant. The lady at the counter and also another Asian customer were unable to read the wr

Default Cigarette Lighter Translation Needed

I tried to translate the inscription on my war era lighter by bringing it to a Chinese take-out restaurant. The lady at the counter and also another Asian customer were unable to read the writing on it and did not know what the symbol in the middle was either.
    The mere sight of an inscribed war era lighter appeared to anger them though.

?

Here is something to consider Colonel maybe they actually did translate the inscription on the lighter and this is why it them

Regards Mark

You asked Chinese people to translate Vietnamese? Why? They read and write Chinese.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

From the sounds of it I think it mattered to them.

Regards Mark

You could always find a Vietnamese business and ask Them to help read the Vietnamese inscription...
    William

Well, let's see....the writing could be Vietnamese because....it's from the Viet Nam War, as you just stated? However, this is likely wrong, in any case. The writing definitely Is in Korean alphabet. And the US had many troops permanently stationed in South Korea throughout the length of the Viet Nam War and still does. This lighter could be either from one of the US Servicemen in South Korea or even from a South Korean Army unit-despite the 1967 date on it. Googling a Korean alphabet would be useless, as the Korea alphabet combined many of their symbols with others to read whole different words and meanings. They have no "A to Z" per se. But, if you want to drive yourself up a wall and Try, take a look at this link and you'll recognize some of the letter symbols.
    hangul.jpg (1200×2167) | exercise | Pinterest
    William

Yes, I have experienced difficulty in translation using language converters on the internet.

This is exactly why I replied to this topic in the first place. Knowing the entire Korean pictorial alphabet is good though. There are no keys in bi-lingual keyboard for many of these. Language translators will not recognise any additions to it.
    Need a genuine serviceman who served in Korean War to read it. If he can, and most likely will not get alarmed by the sight of this genuine service lighter.

'Souvenir' lighter.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Uh...you Do know that was a Moderator you just blew off?
    William

Well I do have a clue, and that's exactly what it is. Service items
    are pieces of kit or gear that are issued to troops. Things like
    this lighter were likely bought at PX's.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast