Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown piece of late war US webbing?

Article about: Today I went to an estate sale after seeing a M1 helmet as well as some other related items in the pictures. It was a bit much for my taste, but I managed to find some other stuff that wasn'

Default Unknown piece of late war US webbing?

Today I went to an estate sale after seeing a M1 helmet as well as some other related items in the pictures. It was a bit much for my taste, but I managed to find some other stuff that wasn't particularly valued. Two m1936 pistol belts,one with a medic pouch (I threw on a canteen I bought for a $1 on the lighter one), a m1910 meat can and what I thought was some sort of utility strap for $10 total. But after looking further at various wartime webbing,
    I can't seem to find out what it might have gone to. On one end there are quite a few metal buckles, and on the other just a metal reinforced piece of webbing. There was another piece of webbing I did not buy, it had quite a few clips on it, I assume it was part of some suspenders, but it was only one half.
    R.P L.T.D 1945 marked, I can't quite make out the rest, perhaps AP0088. Search yields nothing, perhaps part of a set to a bag or something else?
    I attached some other pictures that perhaps might be mildly interesting but unrelated to the topic. The helmet was $150 so I left it behind, but I looked at it a bit and got pictures of the liner to identify it it was a rear seam with the sewn on chinstraps, the liner was missing the chinstrap and has markings belonging to the 241st Coast Artillery. Seems somewhat odd because supposedly a Japanese flag there as well as the last picture were bring backs, but the helmet was in quite good condition as well as the markings make it seem like at least the helmet never left the country.
    The last picture was a bag for two flags, another guy there thought they might be signal flags for signaling to aircraft when landing, but they seemed somewhat small to me for that. I find the Japanese stuff interesting but not enough to risk my money with the language barrier and overall lack of knowledge besides in small arms.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown piece of late war US webbing?  

The strap is British and part of the patt 44 webbing kit. See here-

Pattern 1944 Web Equipment

Part of a British P37 shoulder strap set. Missing the other half.
    John

I would defer to Reneblacky's knowledge base. I am not there yet.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    I would defer to Reneblacky's knowledge base. I am not there yet.
    John
    Cheers John Mate, I'm not there either hey...

MAP
    ?

I think I have the exact same goggles that you can see behind the helmet. Are they yours?

If so and if you are not aware, they are Japanese.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The only stuff I bought was in the first picture. I didn't look too close, but the case looks similar to Foster Grant ones but the lenses are circular. I saw the price on the No4 bayonet which was more than what you'd get one online from an actual retailer and figured most everything else would be near or over what they are worth. I believe the googles were $40, the flag was $250, the signal flags were $40. I don't buy anything I'm not directly wanting unless it's real cheap or I could perhaps roll the dice and see if I could sell it. I probably would've got the helmet if it was like $60, I don't keep up with values, what they were asking probably wasn't particularly unreasonable for what it was especially if you got them to knock 20 or 30 off. But I am more of a pattern collector and I have an example of an M1 (though it is Grenada era), so as something I'd keep it isn't worth it to me because I'd rather put that money towards acquiring examples of helmets from other nations I don't have rather than a duplicate.

At places like these with high prices I try feel it out the stuff they don't perceive as being of any value and get as much as I can for as little as possible.
    The stuff I bought isn't particularly interesting or rare, but percentage wise of what they are worth, vs price paid, they far exceeds what the other more expensive items I thought might be worth, which is more fun for the dollar in my opinion.
    I found the listing again so there's the pictures from their website if anyone was curious, I found one of the flag and the signal flags too.

https://d3au0sjxgpdyfv.cloudfront.ne...xntdagb9c.jpeg
    https://d3au0sjxgpdyfv.cloudfront.ne...v3cldhodj.jpeg
    https://d3au0sjxgpdyfv.cloudfront.ne...id6aqfq61.jpeg
    https://d3au0sjxgpdyfv.cloudfront.ne...5z10almlh.jpeg
    https://d3au0sjxgpdyfv.cloudfront.ne...fnt10waw6.jpeg

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    The strap is British and part of the patt 44 webbing kit. See here-

Pattern 1944 Web Equipment
    Yep, spot on. It is one of two crosstraps which connect to buckles on the rear of the waistbelt and the ammo pouches at the front. They cross over in the middle of the wearers' back

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yep, spot on. It is one of two crosstraps which connect to buckles on the rear of the waistbelt and the ammo pouches at the front. They cross over in the middle of the wearers' back

Regards

Mark
    Thanks Mark for the clarification, wasn't sure on what it was for.

Cargo strap for the 1945 pack board