Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual RAAF MkIIIa goggles!?

Article about: Hi, All, Recently I bought a pair of RAAF Mk IIIa goggles (01.jpg) from Australia. Initially I thought they were just a sun bleached, badly repaired and painted pair. But now I have them in

?

Default Unusual RAAF MkIIIa goggles!?

Hi, All,

Recently I bought a pair of RAAF Mk IIIa goggles (01.jpg) from Australia. Initially I thought they were just a sun bleached, badly repaired and painted pair.

But now I have them in my hands they are very unusual .

First - They are steel not brass! Possibly stainless, no rust and very shiny when rubbed (03.jpg).

Secondly - The central hinge, which I assumed was a bad repair, actually may be original! What makes me say that, is that the link, which I thought was a just a bent thick gauge bit of wire, is actually an interlocking staple type thing. Designed for removal and replacement, a bit too complex for a simple repair.

Thirdly – The cushions, which I thought were faded light brown, look to have been originally light grey, with the pale brown colour actually dirt! (04.jpg).

I took them apart to ‘repair’, but now I think they might have originally been produced as they are?

Has anyone heard of any like this? Steel frames, painted light grey (silver?), grey cushions, and large, robust hinge.

Even the grey elastic strap, which I assumed was a repair, may be original?

I know 'Stokes' made various versions of standard RAF goggles in Australia, for the RAAF, are these from them? Private purchase? Late experimental type?

Regards

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual RAAF MkIIIa goggles!?   Unusual RAAF MkIIIa goggles!?  

Unusual RAAF MkIIIa goggles!?   Unusual RAAF MkIIIa goggles!?  

Can't really help but I can show a set that where issued to the RAAF! not marked.

?

Here is one of my of my RAAF MkIIIA Goggles for reference.

Note - the Nose Bridge assembly - If it is not like mine then its not an original - a Post War aftermarket job.

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1458165

Attachment 1458166

Attachment 1458167

?

A couple more pics of this goggle for reference

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1458168

Attachment 1458169

Attachment 1458170

Attachment 1458171

?

Yes, those are the standard type. Brass with little mortise hinges. Mine are steel and the shackle link looks original. So perhaps 'private purchade'?

?

Sorry Mate ,
    As I said, Post War Aftermarket Type of which there are many.
    Cheers Rick

?

Thanks Rick,
    Would it be possible to post images of post war MkIII's? Perhaps with manufacturer?

I know there are plenty of MkVIII clones (Stadium, Halcyon etc.) But I've never seen Mk III's.

I know D. Lewis made Private Purchase MkIII's pre-war. And Stokes of Melbourne, originally produced straight RAF copies with 'D' shaped stops, but then experimented with the hinge and ended up with the sideways 'T' shaped stops on later Australian Mk IIIa's

Regards
    Steve

?

Quote by Rabaul View Post
    Thanks Rick,
    Would it be possible to post images of post war MkIII's? Perhaps with manufacturer?

I know there are plenty of MkVIII clones (Stadium, Halcyon etc.) But I've never seen Mk III's.

I know D. Lewis made Private Purchase MkIII's pre-war. And Stokes of Melbourne, originally produced straight RAF copies with 'D' shaped stops, but then experimented with the hinge and ended up with the sideways 'T' shaped stops on later Australian Mk IIIa's

Regards
    Steve
    Hi Steve,
    Im sorry I can't give you pics of Mk III clones , as they all have ended up in the bin over time , but apart from the style they are the same construction and straps as MkVIII copies.
    The straps , the backings , they are all pretty much the same as your photos in the 1st post for both types.

Here is the back of my oldest RAAF MkIIIA frames , dated 1940 , with a plain non spring loaded band .
    Note the type of material. Nothing like what you have.

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1458970

?

Here is a couple more pics of the above 1940 early version for reference.
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1458974

Attachment 1458975

Attachment 1458976

Attachment 1458977

?

Thanks, I'll leave it at that. I'll keep my eyes open for old advertising in the motorcycle press!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast