Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waltham A-11 Watch

Article about: I like watches and have wanted to pick up a US and German wartime example for a while so took a chance and bought this from an online auction this past week. I will admit it was a gamble as

MAP
    ?

Default Waltham A-11 Watch

I like watches and have wanted to pick up a US and German wartime example for a while so took a chance and bought this from an online auction this past week.

I will admit it was a gamble as I don't know much about them. Arrived in the mail today and it is excellent condition given it's age and works great.

Sadly though, within a few minutes of it's arrival it was claimed by my wife.

This is an A-11 model built in 1942. Probably the most iconic US watch from WW2. Used mostly by aircrew and also used by British and Canadians as well. It is my understanding that the A-11 was produced starting in 1942 up to 1945. There are many different slight variations of these but they all needed to adhere to some basic but specific specifications (the number of jewels in the movement, the accuracy, size, "Hacking" ability, etc). Three firms produced them. Bulova, Elgin and Waltham.

It's a tiny watch. 32mm wide. I have a photo below next to more standard sized (i.e. not the popular oversized) modern watches

But I do think (still researching) that it has been refurbished (probably arsenal done) as the face/dial appears is what we see on A-17 versions which are Korean war era. (a 24 hr dial vs a 12 hr dial). It is possible it is original but I doubt it given the early 1942 date. That said, it is fairly common for these watches to be refurbished, just like they did with M1 Carbines and Garands

A nice short historical overview of the model is in the link below

Military Watches of the World: A-11, the Watch That Won the War - Worn & Wound

Waltham A-11 Watch

Waltham A-11 Watch

Waltham A-11 Watch

Waltham A-11 Watch

Waltham A-11 Watch

Waltham A-11 Watch
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great watch! I've read about these a few times, though I never realized they were that small in comparison to a standard sized watch. Love the B-17 model in the 5th picture.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Great watch! I've read about these a few times, though I never realized they were that small in comparison to a standard sized watch. Love the B-17 model in the 5th picture.
    Thanks Stephen. Yeah. It's tiny. My tired old eyes would have a real hard time reading the time. Especially as these were designed for use by airmen no less!

Still a neat piece.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice one Michael! does it work? if so is it accurate?

?

MAP I have an Elgin A-11 that was given to me by a friend his dad flew 25 missions over Europe. The watch still runs great and I wear it often. Gary

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Nice one Michael! does it work? if so is it accurate?
    Thanks Rene!

It works.......so far. Keeping fingers crossed.

As far as accuracy...they were spec'ed to be accurate "enough" for what they were intended for. If I remember correctly, I read they could lose up to 30 sec a day. Can't find that article again though

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    MAP I have an Elgin A-11 that was given to me by a friend his dad flew 25 missions over Europe. The watch still runs great and I wear it often. Gary
    Take a picture and post it here. Would love to see it.

The "Elgin" was the biggest producer of these A-11's (or so I have read)

?

Will post as soon as I can

?

MAP this is my watch
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waltham A-11 Watch   Waltham A-11 Watch  

Waltham A-11 Watch   Waltham A-11 Watch  

Waltham A-11 Watch  

?

Had to show a few other
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waltham A-11 Watch   Waltham A-11 Watch  

MAP
    ?

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    MAP this is my watch
    That is fantastic. Looks untouched. The correct face (unlike mine that probably was refurbished with the late war 24 hr dial. Is that the original strap? Looks like the same style.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast