Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Water canteen identification and what should i do?

Article about: Some days ago i got this british style water canteen. Well there's no webbing left but the cap still left in there. It's rare seeing this thing in here. My question is, is there any possibil

Question Water canteen identification and what should i do?

Some days ago i got this british style water canteen. Well there's no webbing left but the cap still left in there. It's rare seeing this thing in here.

My question is, is there any possibility of identifying from what country this canteen was made from? Is it from the britain or somewhere else?
    And also you can see the seller put some lubricate oil on the cork. Is this oil safe for the canteen?
    Should i clean it?

Thank you

Looks British to me

Quote by kradman View Post
    Looks British to me
    I think most if not all the commonwealth nations used variations of this, Canada, Australia etc...Differences exist between WWI period and those from WWII though the basic design and shape remains the same. British versions I have seen tend to be enamelled either green or blue.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Commonwealth P37 webbing and equipment was used by the Dutch military between 1941 untill well into the 1950's, so it could be this water bottle was used by the Dutch in the Dutch East-Indies between 1945 and 1950. There are several models webbing carriers for the bottle, all of which are easy to find on eBay. It's also missing the felt cover.

If you plan on using it I would get a new cork and clean the inside very thoroughly first.

Double post

ILH
    ?

Going by the wire loop on the neck and the stopper it's British, possibly ww2, probably later.
    No way to be certain except markings, usually feint and often nonexistent. Try removing the brown paper from the base in case it is masking it.
    Since the enamel is chipped the bottle is unsafe to drink from so the oil on the cork doesn't matter.

Quote by kradman View Post
    Looks British to me
    Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I think most if not all the commonwealth nations used variations of this, Canada, Australia etc...Differences exist between WWI period and those from WWII though the basic design and shape remains the same. British versions I have seen tend to be enamelled either green or blue.
    Quote by earlymb View Post
    Commonwealth P37 webbing and equipment was used by the Dutch military between 1941 untill well into the 1950's, so it could be this water bottle was used by the Dutch in the Dutch East-Indies between 1945 and 1950. There are several models webbing carriers for the bottle, all of which are easy to find on eBay. It's also missing the felt cover.

If you plan on using it I would get a new cork and clean the inside very thoroughly first.
    Thank you for the replies gents.

Quote by ILH View Post
    Going by the wire loop on the neck and the stopper it's British, possibly ww2, probably later.
    No way to be certain except markings, usually feint and often nonexistent. Try removing the brown paper from the base in case it is masking it.
    Since the enamel is chipped the bottle is unsafe to drink from so the oil on the cork doesn't matter.
    I already check it and there's no marking below the paper. In fact i glued the paper again so the uniqueness of this canteen won't lost.
    I see, thank you.