Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well-used Tanker's Holster

Article about: Hello everyone, I thought I'd share some pictures of my tanker's web holster. It's a little rough but still a neat piece I think. I believe it to be Canadian WWII/Korean War vintage but am n

?

thank you for the great explanation , nomenclature, of the pistol.

Quote by hftiii View Post
    Thanks for your responses guys. Rene, I'll check that out. No markings otherwise that I can see.

Tom
    It will be strange if the button isn't marked as these are pretty much always marked no matter what country it's from.

Quote by hftiii View Post
    I read that these holsters were for hammerless .38 pistols. The hammerless pistol could be taken out of the soldier's holster easily while he was in a cramped space, i.e., wouldn't get snagged. Does anyone know if that's actually the case? Anyone own such a pistol?

Tom
    Here’s my 1943 dated Enfield .38 No.2 mk1* “spurless” revolver. They were also issued to aircrew later in the war. Whilst I have a number of British holsters (including Air Ministry marked) a tankers one has alluded me so far.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Well-used Tanker's Holster   Well-used Tanker's Holster  

Well-used Tanker's Holster   Well-used Tanker's Holster  

?

why are some of them KAKI & some GREY, as yours's is? and did they come in other colors ? thanks.

Quote by toot View Post
    why are some of them KAKI & some GREY, as yours's is? and did they come in other colors ? thanks.
    The grey is actually a shade of blue and is for Royal Airforce. The Ground and Naval forces (Army, Royal Marines Royal Navy and some RAF pers had the khaki issue but the many varied shades are due to the application of "Blanco" used to clean the kit. It was very similar to modern gym shoe whitener but was in a solid block and a wet brush was used. There were many shades and in some cases particular units used certain shades/colours. Military Police used white in non-tactical situations. I have seen Royal Engineers as late as 1979 still with '37 patt webbing Blancoed a purplish colour in parade/duty wear. Some units have used black but I am not sure that was actually Blanco.The webbing itself (except certain very specific items) was issued in the light khaki or blue/grey.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

thank you so much for the responce to my question. you did a stand up explanation of the different ones. you sir know the history of them.

?

Hi,

Same type of tanker holsters made in Argentina for the Browning HP35.

CBH
    ?

I’ve read they used black shoe polish to blacken webbing, can’t remember which units did this.

I think I remember seeing pictures of troops in Malta with blackened webbing. I don’t recall which units they were or the purpose behind it.

Here’s some info on blackened webbing. It’s an old thread that I accidentally deleted my images from

British black / blackened 37ptn webbing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2