Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Australian SMG magazine pouches (Pacific)

Article about: I've been looking into web gear used and produced by Australian troops in the PTO during WW2. In this I've come across various designs that appear to be inspired by the US 5x20 Thompson pouc

?

Default WW2 Australian SMG magazine pouches (Pacific)

I've been looking into web gear used and produced by Australian troops in the PTO during WW2.

In this I've come across various designs that appear to be inspired by the US 5x20 Thompson pouch, these pouches appear to have been intended for use with the 20 round thompson magazines or the Owen Gun SMG magazines.

I was wondering if anyone had more information on these types of pouches, or photographs of them in use.

A couple examples for context:

AIF
    ?

HI, What would you like to know?
    The first pouch you have pictured is the carriers, magazines, SMG (AUST) for Owen and Austen SMG magazines. The pouches were first produced some time in late 1943.
    The second one isn't Australian it's an American Thompson magazine pouch. Although we did produce both the drum magazine and five cell magazine pouches for the Thompson, which was a direct copy of the US versions.
    The third one you have circled is the large basic pouch or pouches, basic, large (AUST) as they were officially known. These were also produced and used from late 1943 onwards.

?

(The circled image was from a conversation with a friend 😅)

Generally I’d just like to know about the production, how widespread it was, how many were made etc.

The 2nd one is American design, but the material and the make doesn’t look at all like
    Ordinary US M1A1 pouches, and the image was originally associated with Aussie production pouches (when I found it).

I have also heard that the Australians made use of US ammunition pouches, I’d like
    To know if there is any truth in that.

AIF
    ?

I couldn't tell you how many were made, but they all seem to be made by the same manufacturer. They did see widespread use from 1944 onwards, but not everyone armed with an Owen SMG was issued with one. There are not many surviving examples left though. Probably due to the conditions they were used in. I've seen maybe a dozen or so in 25 years, a few of which were quite recently sold on eBay. On the rare occasion they come on the market they sell from anywhere between $1000 up to almost $2000.

Here is one from my collection dated 1943
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Australian SMG magazine pouches (Pacific)   WW2 Australian SMG magazine pouches (Pacific)  

AIF
    ?

As for US stuff being worn, apart from the M38 leggings which were an issued item it's not something you really see much. Although there are a few photographs which show the odd piece of US equipment worn and used, it's not something that was widespread or very common.

?

Thanks for the solid info! Did the pouches have an attachment point for the P37 suspenders?

AIF
    ?

Yeah a single twig buckle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Australian SMG magazine pouches (Pacific)   WW2 Australian SMG magazine pouches (Pacific)