Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British Marching compass Mark 1

Article about: I picked up this nice Marching Compass Type 1 the other day in its original box and with instructions. It’s shown with my 1940 dated brass compass (More info on these type of compasses her

Default WW2 British Marching compass Mark 1

I picked up this nice Marching Compass Type 1 the other day in its original box and with instructions. It’s shown with my 1940 dated brass compass

(More info on these type of compasses here: Mk 1 Marching Compass – Tales from the Supply Depot)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Marching compass Mark 1   WW2 British Marching compass Mark 1  

WW2 British Marching compass Mark 1   WW2 British Marching compass Mark 1  

WW2 British Marching compass Mark 1   WW2 British Marching compass Mark 1  

WW2 British Marching compass Mark 1  

?

Nice compass!

But watch out for that complete radium strip in between the mirror glass. You will get a nice dose of alpha, beta and gamma radiation if it’s displayed open so don’t sleep next to it! That and radon gas

Indeed. The shocking story of the "luminous women".

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Indeed. The shocking story of the "luminous women".
    Almost as bad as "phossie jaw" that the matchworkers got.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Funnily enough I was only thinking the other day about all of the escape compasses that I have and how radioactive I have probably made my house. I might have to invest in a lead lined box!

?

I mean once you are a few meters away it’s nothing more than background radiation. I do recall large collections of the items can cause a build up of radon gas. That is if it was stagnant air so I guess if the room is ventilated somewhat that’s two problems dealt with.

I have one of these compass for 3 years and believe it or not the other week I only learnt about that radium strip between the glass. Since my collection is in my bed room ( an area I am in frequently naturally) I realised it was a item that had to go. It is in my shed til I think of a means to sell it on