Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Red Cross “Gold Flake“ cigarette 10 pack

Article about: Hopefully this is the correct section for these to be posted in Thought this was a pretty interesting item to purchase. A pack of Gold Flake cigarettes with the British Red Cross and St. Joh

?

Default WW2 Red Cross “Gold Flake“ cigarette 10 pack

Hopefully this is the correct section for these to be posted in

Thought this was a pretty interesting item to purchase. A pack of Gold Flake cigarettes with the British Red Cross and St. John markings on both ends. Complete with all 10 cigarettes in pretty mint condition packaging

As I learnt from this museums website
    World War 2 - Inver Museum

These cigarettes were forwarded by these organisations to POW’s or wounded servicemen. Certainly helps to confirm the ww2 authenticity of these rather than this just be a regular civilian period pack.

I don’t smoke just for the record but I did do some research into the company and this brand is only sold in India nowadays.

Thanks for having a look. Hopefully militaria cigarettes are the only ones I ever buy!

In those days the perils of nicotine addiction were not generally understood. But many a squaddie was glad of a fag following a firefight. I can vouch for the fact that they were very good for calming frayed nerves following a bit of action!

Cheers,
    Steve

?

I totally understand what you mean Steve, my dad started smoking I am pretty sure when he was doing his service in Northern Ireland. Although not deployed in the most dangerous times of the troubles I think he started since there was also the boredom factor.

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I totally understand what you mean Steve, my dad started smoking I am pretty sure when he was doing his service in Northern Ireland. Although not deployed in the most dangerous times of the troubles I think he started since there was also the boredom factor.
    I never had chance to get bored on my first tour during the worst of the 'Troubles', every time our patrols went out they were attacked by gunmen or rioters. But my second tour was one of boredom interspaced with the occasional outbreak of extreme violence, and I would hazard a guess that is how it was for your dad John. I hope he had the good sense to stop as I did! As an aside, my wife's grandfather - born in 1888 - smoked both pipe and cigarettes all his life. He died in his sleep aged 97.

Jb4046, very nice. Its the little things in life that mean the most sometimes and smokes are definitely one of those things to a lot of folks while in uniform. I have two packs of "V" cigarettes (one green and one purple) but they aren't in as good of shape as these. Congrats.